I yelled at him....

My BIL is a rude and tempermental little A$$munch of a 16yr old. I finally lost it on him. I have asked him politely not to call my daughter fat (because she is not fat) He did it again today and I lost it. He asked why I yelled "because I dont want my kids to have poor self esteem like you do!!!" He has little man syndrome 16 yr old in a 10yr olds body so he is always out to make others feel bad about themselves. Did I have a right to get mad? I got frustrated because I have asked him on multiple occations not to call my kids fat already and he has not obeyed...

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 1:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't blame you at all. He's old enough and should know better. My brother had a friend that used to call me bubble butt when I was little. I have never been heavy or even chunky in my life, it was so uncalled for. I ran into him at the bar after I had turned 21, and he had the nerve to do call me it again. I wanted to smack him. That is just not something you say to a girl, you are right about the self esteem issues. Regardless if a girl is heavy or not, you don't want to put that in your head. I would've reacted the same way. Good for you.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• At 16, he should know better than to call names especially if you'v already told him not to. I would be mad and probably react the same way. Whether or not its the right thing to do, I would have reacted the same way.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You're okay with what you did, but I think you should have your husband....his brother....have a talk with him about how to be a polite young man.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Your fine! don't feel bad for defending your child(ren), If he is name calling or hitting it's the same thing you don't do that to kids it's not cool. I would not apologize he owes your child an apology.
    Anonymous

• I'd do the same thing, too. Don't be sorry.
    Anonymous

• Explain to him that insults do nothing to improve one's self esteem. I agree with PP also, he needs to have a talk with his brother.

When you talk to him try not to yell or accuse. Let him know that his behaviour is not acceptable, and if he continues to treat your children the way he does, that he will not be accepted to enter your home. Be blunt, firm and honest.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• epoh: already done all of that. Thought if I yelled he would hear me this time lol. My hubby tries talking to him he just gets mad and runs to his room crying. I thing there is something mentally wrong with him or his parents just let him get away with too much....
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 3:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think he sounds spoiled. Especially if they're the type of parents who baby the younger sibling. I also think you're right about him just making fun of other people to make them feel bad about themselves so he will feel superior. Call him out on it when he does. It should embarass him if you call him out on what he is doing.

Anonymous