Getting induced- Yes, No?

Is getting induced a good idea/bad idea? Is it even possible to be induced before your due date? All thoughts appreciated

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 1:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to weigh the cost/benefit ratio. I was induced at 37w5d with my twins because I was HUGE.  I had both vaginally, and no complications.  I was a VERY hard labor.  I have heard that it is much harder with pit that without it.

If your baby is VERY large, you have pre-E, uncontrolled diabetes, or other health concerns, then an induction might be a good option for you.  If you are just anxious about meeting your baby and uncomfortable, I would suggest waiting until you are at least 41-42 weeks.

Letting your body go into labor naturally, if there aren't any health concerns IMO, is best.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Are you okay with a very good chance of having a c-section? Your doctor will probably tell you that induction doesn't increase your risk of having a c-section, but it does, tremendously.

I was induced for no medical reason (although I didn't want it, it was at my doctors request) and it was a nightmare that led to a c-section which was a nightmare. Inducing for no medical reason just isn't safe.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You usually only get induced for medical reasons or because something is wrong with the baby they don't just do it to do it. If the baby is large then yes or if its a scheduled deal then they will but its not a normal thing to just have it done because you want to.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i am being induced and i tell you im scared , i pray she coemsbefore wed. but i have to get soemthingin an iv before i deliver and she is getting to be very very large and last time i tried a large baby he got stuck , almost had a c section then too.
    if you are able to go with out being induced then id say go with out if it is needed then yes you can be induced before you due date . i am being induced about a week before my due date .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I was induced with all 4 of my kids. I didn't have any complications and had them all naturally (with epi's). I think it all depends on your DR and how much you trust him/her. I trust my DR implicitly. He birthed my youngest brother and has been a part of our family for over 16 years now. I wouldn't trust anyone else.

tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 2:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• 1. It's a poor idea to get induced prior to a due date because dates can be off and estimates about baby's age can be wrong and a week can make a big difference. In effect you increae the chances of having a pre-term baby which comes with a host of potential problems.

2. A body that is not ready to labor and is induced will create a VERY hard labor and there is a strong chance that it will fail and a c-section resulting.

3. Labor is a process of hormones in balance with the muscles. Interference can cause natural hormones to not be released because of the augmentation of artificial hormone substitutes. This can cause abnormally painful contractions that last an abnormal length of time and do not give the uterus time to rest in between as nature designed.

4. Induction also increases the chance of perineal tears as the tissues are not given enough time to stretch, increases cord prolapse, and malpresentation.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• im Only being induced if there are medical reasons behind it.. other than that im gonna try and stick it out..im 40w1d
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• One should only be induced for medical reasons. Like others said, since due dates can be off by 2 weeks, an unnecessary pre-due-date induction can result in the baby not being able to breathe properly once he/she is born. It is best to wait until after you are post-due to consider induction. Like another poster said, the unnaturally severe contractions from pitocin can cause labor to go more quickly than the body is ready for causing distress to you and the baby and resulting in an alarmingly high result of emergency c-sections.

There is no one that wanted their baby out more than I did. Believe me. I would have begged anyone to induce me if I could lol. My son was 7lbs when I was only 7 months pregnant. By the time I was approaching full-term, I had so much excrutiating back pain, I wanted to die (and I worked up until my due date too!). I was glad that I wasn't induced in the end. It could have caused problems.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I was induced because well I needed help with opening up. The contractions were hard and they wanted to quicken the pace. I didn't need a C-section at all.
    Although they suggested it because my hips are really really really narrow. I mean I could lose all my weight and still go down to a size 00 because I have literally no hips.
    I gave birth in less than 24 hours after they suctioned him out (surprise surprise he was stuck at my hips).
    He was born a very large 8 lb baby and 21 inches.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 3:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I was given Pitocin at 9cm because "I wasn't progressing fast enough" at the hospital. I almost ended up having a c-section, and my son didn't take his first breath for several minutes after the cord was cut.

I vote no induction, ever.
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 4:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009