What is a lie?

What do you consider as a lie?
Is a lie only when you ask a question and the person gives a false answer?
Or is it also lying when a person witholds information about him or herself? Which also brings up the question, should a person tell the other person EVERYTHING about themself when they get in a relationship, the good the bad and the ugly?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Omission & comission; they are both LIES!

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Its not a lie if its never asked. We all have a past and not everything has to be put on the table on day one. Somethings are better left in the past. If a person is asked and falsifies information or their answer then that is a lie. If your in a committed relationship and getting married or whatever then the more your honest about the better but no one tells someone else everything about their past.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Lying by omission is still lying... if the person withholds information that is relevant to a situation, they are not being honest. Personally I believe that you don't have to reveal every little dirty secret or every piece of your history and thoughts to someone in a relationship. I am comfortable enough to tell my husband anything, but there are parts of my past that have nothing to do with anything about my life today. It is important for each person to be aware and honest with themselves and others if there are things in the past or in their thoughts that affect a situation, but no one owes anyone an explanation for everything, particularly when it is a part of the past. We are allowed to keep things to ourselves for whatever reason, as long as we are not trying to justify withholding information saying it's not important when we know it is. Make sense?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Its one thing when a person is dating and is dishing the goods out bit by bit while the dating dance is going on. We all do that. But it's quite different when a person (in any relationship) intentionally with-holds information for any reason. Even if it is innocent that shows a decietful character. Simple things like just mentioning "I was a the gym" and leaving out that "I was training with Karen" can turn an innocent situation into a trust damaging issue. Its affects can be far reaching.
    JMHO
    Anonymous

• I think a lie can be one of two things: If I ask a question and you deliberately tell me a false answer, that is a lie. If a situation arises where you should tell me something, and you fail to, that is a lie. For example, a guy I'm dating fails to mention having two kids, that's a lie. Or a friend doesn't tell me that that she hit my car door with her car door, that's a lie. While those aren't things I would necessarily ask (well, the kid thing I would, eventually, depending on the seriousness the relationship), it would be expected that they would volunteer the information. If they don't, then they are lying. But, there's also leaving something out while telling the truth, like saying you had dinner at Jamie's house, and not mentioning that Jamie is of the opposite sex. That's not a lie, but it is still wrong, and to me, would be just as bad as an outright lie.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Is a lie only when you ask a question and the person gives a false answer?

well, i believe it is all the truth up there!!! yes, you should have to tell everything about yourself eventually if your in a serious relationship with someone! yes, when you know the answer to something and you don't tell the truth and say you know nothing and you do!!! why lie?? tell the truth and it will get you farther in life!!! lies always come back to bite you in the end!!!!
    BELLENTERRY

Answer by BELLENTERRY at 3:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I feel it depends on the importance of the information...Example: if he has a contagious disease & leaves it out, well that's a big deal. If he didn't tell you an embarrassing fact about himself, maybe you can be flattered that he was trying to impress you.
    Amy82

Answer by Amy82 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2009