Prison breaks are a crime...

And as such are punishable by law... BUT...

What if while out on the run the original case is overturned and the fugative prooved inocent -

Should they be prosicuted for breaking out??

*I know my spelling sucks! I'm dyslexic and tired!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They should not be prosecuted at all. The fact that they were innocent but had to go through all the trouble of  being punished and on trial etc. is MORE than enough in a situation like that.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't know. LOL. I have no clue about the legality of all of that. So I cannot say. I mean he was innocent, but he did commit a crime by breaking out.

Is this a trick question? : )

ha ha
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I guess it is... I was watching Law & Order Again... lol

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• That's a tough one. It's a crime, yes, but it's a crime they wouldn't have committed if they hadn't been mistakenly put in prison to begin with, so how can you punish them the same way? I saw something similar on a tv show, where the guy was put in prison for killing someone with his car that they later found out she was trying to kill herself, so it really wasn't his fault. But while in for that, he killed a prison guard. I feel it's the same thing: he committed a crime, but he wouldn't have if he hadn't been wrongfully put in prison in the first place. On one hand, I think no they shouldn't be punished, b/c they wouldn't have done it if it weren't for being put there wrongly. But on the other hand, it's a crime, and people who commit crimes should be punished. I really don't know.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• If the person was found innocent while on the run the ideal out come would be to not charge them with the crime of breaking out. But more than likely they would have to face some sort of charges. Ahh !!! trick question. I'm not good at these
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• they still broke that the Law by not waiting out the process but I still think they shouldn't be charged but thats MPO, and we are suppose to follow the Laws of the land we live in even when we KNOW they're wrong/imperfect...

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• So not to be completely off topic but what should be done for people like James Lee Woodward, a man found innocent after imprisonment for 27 years. He DIDN'T break the law and never broke out of prison but lost a huge amount of his life. What should happen for him? He was punished for 27 years for doing NOTHING. What does he deserve? What will he get to make up for what was done to him? http://www.infoniac.com/offbeat-news/man-found-innocent-after-years-spent-prison.html

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't think they should be charged. But if they are, it should be something like probabtion or house arrest. Something that would not but them back behind the walls that they have already broken out of once. And it shouldn't be very long.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Just for argument sake - At the end of the show, the guy got time served and was set free... His mother who orcistrated the break and paid off the gaurd was given probation...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I mean they have to have a law for this on the books already right?

Since this is the Relgion and Beliefs section, not the Law and Order section I assume you are wondering how our religion and beliefs would affect our opinion. LOL : )

I was thinking that technically the apostles were prison breakers. : ) "But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said, "Go, stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this life." Acts 5: 19-20 This was a great miracle that brought God glory.

One time when Paul and Silas were in prison, there was an earthquake and the prison doors opened, but Paul and Silas didn't just run out, they shared with the guard and his family and they were baptized. Then the officials asked them to just leave.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2009