Would you feel betrayed if your child chose a religion other than yours?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No... I am raising him to make his own choice with an open mind to all that is out there including being a non-believer..
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I was raised Catholic and for the most part still practice Catholicism. We're raising our kids in the faith. However, my oldest daughter is very interested in Paganism and is looking at studying it. I told her to take the next few years and look at both (as well as any other religions) and then make a decision. She is almost 15 so I want her to understand any and all aspects of any religion she (or any of my kids) will choose. My kids are not me, I cannot tell them what they feel and believe any more than someone can tell me those things.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Not betrayed but sad.  But then I would remind myself what ever religion they choose that makes them happy is good. As long as they keep faith in their life.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 2:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No. My husband was raised by crazy effin' fundamentalist Christians, we'd like them to be far, far from that. Everything else is good.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 2:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No, I would feel proud that I raised my child to think for herself and respect her choices.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No. I would hope they follow their hearts and dont feel obligated or guilty for choosing something different.

The only thing that would make me sad is if they became so engrossed in whatever path they choose(if different than my own) they became obnoxious and pushy about it. You know, the you are going to hell cuz you arent like me mentality.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No, because thier spiritual path is thier own, it doesn't belong to me nor is it mine to dictate. It would upset me no more than if my child became a mathematician, considering I hate math.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No. I think part of spiritual growth is learning and finding your own path- even if it differs from those around you.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No I would not feel betrayed,b/c the knowledge I had passed on to my children would save them once they had decided to come back to the Lord. If they chose not to come back to the Lord I can take comfort that I had at least did my job as a mother and did my best to save them. I would never give up praying for them, or lose faith that they would come to the truth before it is too late.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2009