• In the Spotlight:

my breastmilk is green?? is this ok?

my 6 month old is sleeping through the night now and when I wake up in the morning my breast are really full. I take my prenatals at night before bed. I pumped first thing this morning and my milk was really green, is this ok?

milf661

Asked by milf661 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Um no. I would call the doctor as it could be a gland infection.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Breast milk usually has a pale blue tint to it. You're probably fine. It's just concentrated.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• did you eat alot of vegetables? i'd check with your reg dr or even OB
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• The color, consistency and taste and even smell of breast milk varies based on what you eat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It is probably something you ate and not a problem. From What does Breastmilk Look Like "Breastmilk can be thin and watery looking, and may have a blue or yellow tint to it. It can even take on a hint of green, orange or other color if mother has been eating lots of green foods, or other colored foods, especially those with dye, such as green gatoraide. The color of the milk is usually not anything to be concerned about however it's always good to check with a breastfeeding professional to be sure. "

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• When my baby was in the hospital, I had to pump and freeze my milk. I noticed that some of the other milk that other moms' pumped was either white, green, or orange. I asked the lactation consultant about the color and was told that the green and orange came from all of the veggies that the mom ate. I wouldn't be too concerned, but if you are, call your dr. or lactation consultant.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• um probably not no, contact your GP
    MommaandStepMom

Answer by MommaandStepMom at 6:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2009