Constipation?

First Time Mom Alert !
I had my baby on April 10th,2009 and he is doing amazingg but he isn't pooping as much as he was in the hospital. I am concerned that this may be constipation from the formula we have him on. How can I get him to poop again that is safe for him and his tiny baby belly?

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as he is going once a day he will be fine. After they pass the first stools their habits change. You can get an infant rectal laxative. Check to see if his belly is hard. Use gentle massage as well on his stomach and lay him flat and push his knees to his chest and slowly rock him side to side while his knees are in his chest. He should be going for his 2 week check up soon so talk to them then. IF he goes once or twice a day he's fine. OUr daughter stopped going all the time about 4 days old.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• As long as his poop is not dry, hard or pellet like, then he's not constipated :) If he doesn't go for more then like, 2 days, there might be a problem, I'm not sure how it goes with FF babies.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• He doesn't even need to go once/day... he can go 2-3 days without pooping without any concern. If in 3 days he hasn't gone give 1/2 oz of pear juice and see if it helps him go. If that doesn't work call your pediatrician and see what they would like you to try.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Since your baby is only 8 days old, I would NOT suggest any kind of juice.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Just in case,switch to a soy based formula to rule out milk allergies.Watch for bloody stools which could indicate constipation or protein intolerance which will require Nutramigen formula.My son was protein intolerant and it started with fewer b.m's
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2009