Here's one to think on... Pagan mama's mostly - but all respectful answers welcome!

Yesterday there was a question for polythiests... I had answered that I am a "hard" polythiest and so did a number of you. I believe that there is a Great God and Great Goddess and that together they created all - including the other gods and goddesses.

To me this is why each culture has seperate yet similar religions. I do not believe that there is neccessarily a wrong religious path.

Now, that said, I also believe that the god of the jews is just as legit as the rest. That it is more than possible for him to have claimed to be the only one and to have inspired the bible/torah.

Here's my questions...
1.) Is there any other "hard" polythiest that shares my views in "greater" and "lesser" gods or at least that there are more gods than we know?
2.) Do you feel that the god of the jews/Christians could be one of these many gods and just be claiming supremicy?

What are your respectful thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• 1.) Is there any other "hard" polytheist that shares my views in "greater" and "lesser" gods or at least that there are more gods than we know?

Hard polytheist here, I do believe that there are more Gods than I am aware of. I don't view the Gods in a greater or lesser sense. You could find a way to classify them in that manner. I prefer to view them as equals among themselves even if in their stories they don't..

2.) Do you feel that the god of the Jews/Christians could be one of these many gods and just be claiming supremacy?

That's exactly how I feel about that particular God. Just a tribal war god who had a great PR rep and sold the franchise rights to his only "son." I see him as just another braggart and blow hard among other things.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 5:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Personally I completely reject the need for a hierarchy. God is All That Is. All beings are various manifestations of God.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I believe we are all praying to the same thing just a different name.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 2:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think there is a Creator God/dess. The Creator or Great God created the earth and the Goddess nurtured its growth. The Gods/dess that are lessor to the Creator Gods/dess are children and or aspects of the Great ones.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am answering this question with total respect. I like this question and I have thought about this before. If the God of the Jews and Christians is just one of many Gods, then He is a liar.

"This is what the LORD, Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty, says: I am the First and the Last; there is no other God." Isaiah 44:6

" [am] the LORD, and [there is] none else, [there is] no God beside me" Isaiah 45:5

“It is impossible for God to lie.” Hebrews 6:18

So yeah, if the God of the Jews is as you say possibly, just one of many who told us He was supreme and the only one, than He is a liar and a deciever. He would not be a good God to live for.

I remember you saying somewhere that pagans do not believe in "all good" or "all evil" beings, but that everything has both. So do you see in some of the gods, a tendency to lie or decieve. Curisosity, not argumentative tone. promise.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am sorry that I cannot say I am a polytheist of any kind,but I do agree with a few of the other posters - I believe there is One God into Whom we all put our faith, we just call Him by different names and know Him by different "faces". I believe He revealed Himself to different peoples specifically based on their culture/mentality/history/etc so that He made Himself available to all - that there are so many paths to Him that He may be attainable by all.
    Its not a popular belief, but it speaks true to my heart, and while I do not believe there to be more than one God, I do believe that others who believe so are merely seeing Him in two (or more) personifications, of that makes sense.... To me it doesn't' mean either of us are wrong, we just know what is right for us, if you kwim.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• *if that makes sense, lol not of that makes sense
    sorry bout that
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes and yes.

A few of them just have better press agents lol!
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 3:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Do you feel that the god of the jews/Christians could be one of these many gods and just be claiming supremicy?

This. The abrahamic god is the god of that region - the Middle East, from Israel to Iraq to Northern Africa. Most likely the same god of the Zoroastrians who were there first. So are the lessor gods that worked with Allah before Muhammed converted Islam to a monotheistic faith. Egypt has its own pantheon that covers that region, same for Rome, and Greece, and India and China and Europe. North America had 4 general divisions, and there were numerous pantheons that covered South America as well. It is nothing but a fluke that a murderous and power hungry empire converted to Christianity and used it as a weapon against other societies. It could just as easily have never happened, and the world would still have its original faiths (and probably less war, too)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• MizKizzy, LOL, I love it. Better press agents. LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009