Should this be an option?

Since women (as far as I am aware, please correct me if I am wrong) can get an abortion without the consent & approval of the father, should a man be able to terminate all parental rights, priveledges, & financial obligations, to the child, if he doesn't want the child to be born? Is it fair that women have the ultimate choice in giving birth, aborting, or putting a child up for adoption, but the man has no say (since a woman can choose to not inform the father of the abortion or adoption). It takes two people to create a child, shouldn't thier rights be the same? I think if women knew a man could terminate his rights & responsiblities, there would be far fewer unwanted pregnancies, because I just think women would take it far more seriously, that they have to do it on thier own. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do think it's bad that women have 100% control over this decision. I've seen many a woman LIE and purposely get pregnant in order to trap a man, or just because they WANT a baby. The man has no say in the decision. I also had a friend who paid child support for the child of his ex for years, only to find out it wasn't his. It was devastating for him.

A woman ALWAYS knows it's her child, and she can decide to have an abortion or keep it, without consulting the man. Either way, she is in control.  Yes, a man needs to pay child support, but his rights on whether he wanted to become a father should be taken into account.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Sure and tonight you so or dh can just walk out and say c-ya! TROLL
    Anonymous

• i think that men should get rights also. it takes two people to make a baby and every person should get rights to that child.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

i think you are the troll, please get over your self and answer the question. and learn how to spell.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• OP, here. This is legitimate question. I've seen many men close to me go through, having a child that they didn't want, and it have a hugely negative effect on thier lives. I don't see why men should have no options while women have three.
    Anonymous

• Would you like your man just to walk out on you?
    Anonymous

• What would happen if two people who were close enough to make as child together would also make sure they were close enough to talk about the consequenses of an unplanned pregnancy and agree on what to do in case of it happening. (This would sort of cut down on one-night stands, don'tcha think?)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

men do this all of the time and so do women so what is your point. anyone can walk away and sign away their rights to their kids.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Come on they have an option abstain or make sure they are protected.Of course both should of been thinking about that before a pregnancy happened.Don't give me the mess condoms break.Sure once in a blue they do but not near this much besides it goes back to abstain or be protected the female could of been using a form of BC too.People should be thinking more of the what if's then oh i'm horny lets do it.Even some of us who are married have had to think of the what if's and not had sex until we knew the chance was pretty much not there.Problem some have is they don't think about the what ifs they just think hey im horny lets do it.The line of thinking i'm using in this post is also stigmatized these days by "such a prude" etc which is more of an excuse and immaturity.
    Anonymous

• OP here. Actually, no it's not that simple. The State wants someone to be financially responsible for the child, so that they don't have to shoulder the burden. That is why (Idk if this is in all states) a married man is responsible for a child born "in wed-lock" even if the child isn't biologically his.
    Anonymous