How did you get your little one to try the potty?

So we started potty training yesterdy and she was good. She wanted to try and she was all about it. This morning no so much. She will not try and sit on the potty. She refuses! I have tried bribes with treats or going somewhere out of the house. Nothing seems to be working!! She says she has to go and I say lets go try and she refuses, to the point where she starts to cry. So she pees or poops all over the floor right there in the bathroom in front of her potty. Please help! What am I doing wrong? What tricks have I not tried?

starglo

Asked by starglo at 2:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little girl never cared if she got her panties (or the princess, flowers, etc.) wet or dirty. That trick doesn't work for every kid.
    What worked for us was the bare-butt method. If she had ANYTHING on, she would go in it. Is she was pantless, she would run to her potty. That started a few days after we started.
    I'd also have your little one help clean up the messes. Don't scold and this is not a punishment. It's a "you are big enough now to help clean up the messes you make" thing. It also gets very boring very fast. Since you know it's a potential problem, you might put a water proof pad in front of the potty if that would be easier to clean than the floor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• How old is she? We started by putting regular undies on them. Let her pick them out :) She really won't like it when she's wet.

But don't make her cry over it, that can hurt. If she doesn't want to, then don't push it. Take her to the potty about once an hour and clap your hands and say yay when she actually does go :) For poo you can read her a book while she's sitting down.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• She is 2 1/2ish and we have tried underwear, she even picked them out... still she pees them and poops them
    starglo

Answer by starglo at 2:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I bought my DD a potty that played music when she peepeed in it! And I just left it in the bathroom for a while before I even tried to potty train her. She really potty trained herself. She was 22 months old. She just started using it and that was all there was to it!! I think I was very lucky with that though!!
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would sit them on the potty at 16 months an they would sit and watch there fav show and I would fil lthem with juice lol. They would get stickers, the pee pee dance and lots of hugs for usin the potty. worked for my dd whose 3 now and was trained by 17 months. My son is a little slower at 18 months hes just now almost potty trained. They really didnt get a choice, what mommy says goes.
    yannaboozmommi

Answer by yannaboozmommi at 10:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009