How to get military folks more interested in spending time in their town outside of base?

Hello everyone,

For the sake of YourTown's, YourState, USA economic development-

I am hearing a lot of civilian business and entities wanting military folks to take interest in their civilian communities (towns outside of base), as much as civilians who live in those town.

What can the local merchants of your civilian town do to entice a military family to spend time and purchase products from their area?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 2:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in Alaska. We have parks,camping grounds ,fishing,winter sports. I would say when you like outdoors you don't have problem in Alaska spending money and the same time supporting local businesses. .All Summer long we have markets ,were you can pay fruits&vegetables ,native art  and other stuff made in Alaska.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 3:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It would seem to me, that the community would be no communtiy if it weren't for military paychecks being spent in town. I am sure plenty of military monies are spent in town, more than you think.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• To akinbottom2

I am taking part of economic development. This means that I actually speak to these businesses. These businesses know who's military, and who's not. I'm not only speaking about money spent but also about volunteering.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 3:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am a military wife. I have always volunteered in the community in which we live. However, my volunteering tends to be more church related. I know lots of people that are heavy participants in Habitat for Humanity and for Toys for Tots. The Walk for the Cure always gets lots of turnout as well.

I will go to one business over another if they offer a military discount.

One of the problems we have here is with campgrounds. A lot of them require reservations and they give NO refund if you cancel in 48 to 72 hours or less. We lost more than $500.00 last year at one campground. We were going to stay for a week and my hubby's unit had a recall at the last minute and we couldn't go. I had to cancel all or nothing and I wasn't allowed a refund or rescheduling. That is really crappy.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Congratulations!! That is so good of you, and so important.
    Kids eat free at resatraunts on certain nights is always good, and spa's for military mom's might be good. It's hard to tell what your community has to offer and what the economic situation is there.
    Our downtown area has recently acquired the historical development categorization with the government, and the revitalization society has been working hard for 3 years to revitalize our downtown.
    Our newspaper started running one page ads near holidays with what local merchants have to offer. Like today is the kickoff for the Spring season we had a 5K run, and last night on the square was BBQ cook off and the merchants extended hours till 10pm and free parking.
    Have your merchants put up thankyou and welcome home signs in the windows. That's the best I can offer, military discounts may disgruntle the locals.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I'm curious as to where you are. My husband and I are in Va and let me tell you, the navy is a MAJOR part of the economy. The military and its families are a huge part of the community and play a major role in its ability to be sustained. There is talk of one of the carriers being moved and there is alot of controversy over it because of the impact it would have on the local economy and business.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 3:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have no idea what a resatraunts is. Sorry.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• As a military spouse I have to say, when your husband is deployed there is so much offered on base that, other then shopping, there is not a reason to go off. Where we are now, they have free activities, TONS of volunteer positions, so many hours of free child care a month, free gym with child care, kids sports are WAY cheaper, grocery shopping is ALOT cheaper too. So unless the base stops offering stuff like that, there is no reason for me to do that stuff off post. I do love shopping so financially I am helping out the area ;) So I guess to answer your question, they would have to offer what the military does on post or the post would have to stop doing what they are doing to support there soldiers and families. 

Anonymous

A restaurant where they seat you twice?

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am located at Ft. Leavenworth. I am strongly tied to the rehabilitation of Downtown Leavenworth, in partnership with the City of Leavenworth. The issue is that many military are driving through Leavenworth to visit Kansas City, Zona Rosa KCMO, and Nebraska Furniture (Legends in KCKS), for example. Leavenworth is trying very hard to capture this shopping interest to improve its economy. This September, I am on a committee that is planning the Street Scape, Hay Market Flea Market, and Overlay Program ribbon cutting event that is planned along with the First City Festival. I am not only military myself, but have also had experience in advertising.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 4:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009