Leaky Boobs ! Formula Moms.

My babies on formula and my boobs have been sore,leaky and annoying for about 3 days now. I'm trying to dry up my nipples and my mother-in-law keeps giving me the wrong advice. I think that she is getting me to stimulate my nipples since she wanted me to breastfeed in the first place. She got my bf to put a hot towel over my boobs to loosen up the milk. The tention was loosened but isn't that how they get you to produce more milk? How can I get them to dry up and how long does it usually take to dry up so the breast pads can be a thing of the past? :)

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long really varies from woman to woman. It took me about 5 days. I have a friend who is still lactating 8 years after her daughter was weaned... yes..., years.

Stop all stimulation. For the pain, try cold cabbage leaves in your bra. For your MIL, just smile, nod, and thank her for the info. This tactic will come in handy in the coming years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• How can she be your mother-in-law if it is your boyfriend? Also it is your decision if you choose to breast feed.
    Anonymous

• If you have a bra that is too small, wear it day and night for about a week. Although I have no proof and I never got advice from anyone on how to dry up, I believe this prevents let down. Also, use a cold compress for about 10 minutes two to three times a day for the discomfort.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would not suggest wearing the too tight bra, as it can clog milk ducts, and possibly cause mastitis (breast infection). I'd suggest wearing a nicely fitting, supportive bra, I'll second the recommendation about the cold cabbage leaves in the bra, and motrin for the pain. Hot towels, hot showers, I wouldn't recommend it if you are trying to dry up. I don't know how long it will take, as everyone is different.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Your boyfriend's mother is wrong.

Do not put anything warm on your breasts and try to avoid allowing the shower water to hit them.

I've heard cold cabbage leaves. I just let mine go and they were dry in about a week. I didn't do anything. BUT...that's what worked for me.

I also suggest nodding and smiling when your boyfriend's mother says anything. When she does become your MIL, it will definitely come in handy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i used to squeeze mine out in a hot shower lol. at first i created more milk but after about 1 month i dried up
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Put cold cabbage leaves in your bra and make your bra as tight as can be on your breasts, so that's it's still comfortable. also dont massage the breasts as this increases milk supply. Dont stimulate the nipples either. Keep doing this for a couple of days, change the cabbage when it gets warm. I am a NICU nurse and this is what we tell our moms who dont want to or cant breastfeed.
    Rngrad_2006

Answer by Rngrad_2006 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• nurse your baby?
    Anonymous

• Crush cabbage leaves and put them in your bra, if they aren't crushed it won't work, take sage pills, drink sage tea, or order some tea called NO More milk tea.

I think all moms should give BFing a chance but it is your choice, so the info above is what works...it helped my friend whose baby died shortly after birth.

DO NOT wear tight bras(it can cause infections), DO take sudafed many times over many days, DO NOT touch your nipples or breasts often it stimulates then,
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would give that baby all the breastmilk you could, even by pumping if you have to
    Anonymous