What message does this teach?

"These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips,but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men." Isaiah 29:13

Open to all opinions as long as they are respectful.

mo2a27

Asked by mo2a27 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-6 Credits)
  • i beleive it means you can say what you will and fool people, but God knows your heart. Also that a relationship is not about "rules". Religion is about rules, but having a loving open relationship with God is not about rituals and the "have to" stuff. The rules taught by men are that you have to do this, give this amount of money, say this many prayers and what not. God never said any of that. God said "he who believes with his heart and confesses with his mouth, shall be saved Romans 10:9. "who ever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" romans 10:13. But the bible does state - "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matthew 7:21 - I believe this verse touches on the people who "come near to me with there mouths" people who say they love God but their hearts are elsewhere. God knows
    Rngrad_2006

Answer by Rngrad_2006 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Actions speak louder than words, to honor the Lord by living in what you say, as well as you do, when others see you, if you are a believer in Jesus, it should be evident by how you treat others, and how you live.
    Anonymous

• This verse makes me think of the pharasees in Jesus' time as well as so many people today. So many like to practice religion, where you have a giant set of rules, and as long as you follow them, you're good. However, this is not what honors God! God wants a relationship with us. We can sing praises to God and do "works" for him all day long, but if God is not leading us to do that, then we're really only doing it for ourselves.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I agree with beccare200. I see images of pharasees and some of today's evangelists and such. Saying one thing, doing another.
    Anonymous

• IMO I see it as someone claiming to be something out of fear that if they went public with their true beliefs they would be prosecuted.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• hazeledove, I don't understand what you mean. could you explain, please? :)
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• To me it says you can go through the motions, but if your heart's not really in it than its all for nothing. What matters isn't the rules/doctrine/dogma/etc prescribed by men, but a real relationship with God. Its about living the relationship vs. the religion. We should do all things out of love for Him and others, and only then is what we do "right". If we get too caught up in reading the Bible, or in prayer, or whatever, so much that its what gets our focus and attention, then its taking the priority off of God and a hindrance rather than a help to our relationship with Him. We need to remember WHY we do these things, and for WHOM, as opposed to letting following the steps and going through the motions be what's important to us. When our heart is dedicated to the Lord we will do His will without having to be told, because its natural to do out of love for Him. The relationship, imo, must come first, must be whats important.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I like how it paraphrases it in The Message.... Isaiah 29:
    13-14The Master said:

"These people make a big show of saying the right thing,
    but their hearts aren't in it.
    Because they act like they're worshiping me
    but don't mean it,
    I'm going to step in and shock them awake,
    astonish them, stand them on their ears.
    The wise ones who had it all figured out
    will be exposed as fools.
    The smart people who thought they knew everything
    will turn out to know nothing."

Before this passage it speaks about this ....
    You Have Everything Backward
    11-12What you've been shown here is somewhat like a letter in a sealed envelope. If you give it to someone who can read and tell her, "Read this," she'll say, "I can't. The envelope is sealed." And if you give it to someone who can't read and tell him, "Read this," he'll say, "I can't read."
    It ties together. :-) I believe it is sp
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• but they are all talk and no do. Their hearts are not really into worshiping the Lord and pursuing a relationship with Him. It refers to those who say ok I am saved I got my ticket to heaven now I can go play. No that is a wrong attitude.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I see it as calling out those who do not practice what they preach- those who proclaim belief but do not live that belief.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009