Changing Tables

Would anyone happen to know of any court cases involving changing babies in public and sexual predators?

I'm doing a presentation on the public policy of the need for changing stations in all public bathrooms.

Also, if you have had any bad experiences with there not being a changing table in the bathroom I would appreciate it if you would allow me to use your testimony. (ex: there was no changing table at the truck stop bathroom and so you had to change him/her on the nasty floor with dirt and bugs...)

Deathlilly

Asked by Deathlilly at 3:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There usually isn't a changing table in a mens room. Why not? What if you were a single dad?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I was pretty much the only parent that could change our children (unless we did do it on the floor, in a booth, in the car) my husband couldn't really do it because there are basically no changing tables in mens rooms, even in the handicapped private stall.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have only one daughter who's seventeen. I remember when I changed her, I changed her on my lap, in my car (out of the sight of others). I was paranoid about germs in public bathroom, including changing tables.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 3:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I've never seen a CLEAN changing table in a public restroom, anywhere, ever! As for changing your baby's diaper on one, it's in the ladies room, and yeah, there might be a sexual predator in there, but it's not highly likely, and how much of a charge are they going to get out of a diaper change anyway? (Well, I know, they're sick, so I don't understand them.) If there was no changing table, or if it was nasty, like they usually are, I would change my baby in the car.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Gas stations never have them. Remodeled or new fast food restaurants or diners never have them. I usually change them in the car
    Anonymous

• Excuse me if I was unclear. I was asking about cases of people changing diapers in public because there was NO changing table in the bathroom.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 4:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• While I know you want to know about times when it was a problem that there wasn't a table at all... it's just as bad when the table is badly installed or filthy. If it's impossible to use, it might as well not be there.

By the time my daughter was 6 months old, she would scream when placed on one of those awful tables since they were so unstable. I simply kept an old baby blanket in my bag, put that on the floor, and changed her on the floor. It was safer. The blanket could be folded dirty side in for transport home for cleaning. They also sell disposable mats for that purpose.

If you want stories of people who can never find one, try a dad's site. Men's rooms never have them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• "There usually isn't a changing table in a mens room. Why not? What if you were a single dad? "

I always thought this too. Quite stereotypical dont ya think? Hehe.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have to agree with a PP who said gas stations.. theyre already sometimes really dirty and you have no where to change your child. I was on a little road trip with my exfiance and our son and we had to stop in this podunk town and change his diaper. well the bathroom was DISGUSTING, and it was FREEZING outside, so i had to change him in my lap. Ugh it was terrible.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Both diaper bags I have bought have a mat that comes with them. I have on occasion laid that down then placed my child on it because there was no changing table. I rarely see them anymore. I dislike the ones that are out in the open. I like going into a stall and having privacy to change my child's diaper instead of any joe blow walking in and seeing me change them.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009