How not to get birdbath algae?

We have a birdbath on the front lawn. As soon as I start filling it every spring, it gets green algae in it like split-pea soup. I have to empty it out, scrub it with bleach water and a brush and rinse it so the birds can use it. I can't be doing this every 2-3 days all summer long. How do I get rid of the algae without poisoning the birds?

pagan_mama

Asked by pagan_mama at 3:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I got this out of Garden Gate magazine. Start with fresh water. Put 6-8 stems of lavendar flowers together with a daylily leaf and lay bundle in water. One bundle will last 2-3 weeks. I haven't tried it because I don't have those. I am going to try this http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/bird-bath-cleaner-tablets.do
    yldflwr

Answer by yldflwr at 5:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• How large is the birdbath?? If it is the size of a small pond, try barley bales (found at pond shops). Also, if you have plants, they will keep algae down (less workable in a birdbath than a pond). Whether it is in sun or shade could also affect the algae bloom.
    busywithkids

Answer by busywithkids at 2:13 AM on Apr. 19, 2009