Oral Fixation

My 7 year old always has to chew on something. It has even gotten to the point where he now chews on his fingers to where they will bleed. We have made him start wearing knit gloves when he is in the house (don't want to embarrass him at school) Does anyone have a solution for this problem that I am having with him. He was a big pacifier user when he was younger and it was very hard to get him to stop right before he started kindergarten. Any suggestions?

shellinmaine

Asked by shellinmaine at 3:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Does he have any past history of oral sensory issues or any other type of sensory issues?

You need to make sure he has something appropriate to chew on at all times so he's not hurting his fingers. Google Chewy Tubes...they are safe and made for older kids.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 3:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• An oral fixation would suggest that their is an underlying psychological issue. Did you neglect him, let him cry it out when he was younger?

I would give him extra attention and care...because hes obviously doing it as a comfort thing. You need to find the root core and help him by being there properly.
    Anonymous

• Wow anon 4:30 . . a bit rude are we??
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Hi I am new here but your question caught my eye.....I have a 6 year old that just quit sucking her fingers only because we made her wear mittens except when at school. It still took 2 1/2 moths to break this habbit. No she chews on her hair and always finds something to put in her mouth. I do not agree with "Anonymous" at all. I did let my children cry when they were babies unless there was something really wrong. Babies need attention but, there is also such a thing as too much. My daughter has shown improvement by me just letting her chew sugarfree gum. My son used to chew his fingernails until the would bleed and I bought him stuff called "No Bite" at wal-mart. It's a fingerbail polish that tastes worse than anything. The babies thumb sucking stuff has nothing on no bite. Hang in there.....I'm sure it will improve and ignore hasty comments from other people.
    pages6

Answer by pages6 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Anonymous, shut up. Yeeesh. My son puts everything in his mouth because he has autism and sensory processing disorder. Go read a book and quit being an idiot.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 9:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2009