what does the bible say about divorce?

and will people really go to hell for divorcing??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No I think they've decided to ignore that one. As long as you're not divorcing a gay person, in which case yes you are most certainly still going to hell.
    Please note sarcasm.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 3:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would ask a pastor to be correct. Unfortunately alot of Christians divorce each other, as for going to hell because of it, from my understanding if you don't accept Jesus as Lord, and don't repent for sins, that is why people end up there. Research your bible though as well.
    Anonymous

• I believe you will not go to hell if you have a divorce. I don't believe God is a punishing God. I believe God is all Great. I don't believe in hell at all. I feel majority of the bible is man made.

Anonymous

• There are many schools of thought on this. Personally, I do not believe you will go to hell because you are divorced. If you are catholic, you supposedly cannot be a member of the church if you divorce and have to go through an annulment. The reason I know this is my MIL had her marriage annulled after almost 30 years so her daughter from her 2nd marriage could go to catholic school. Personally, it left a bad taste with my DH because it means to the church that the marriage b/t his dad and his mom never existed - which now makes him child "out of wedlock" in the eyes of the catholic church. Since then my DH has denounced the catholic church and will never go back no matter how hard his mother begs him too. And I dont blame him.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• The Bible says that God hates it in Malachi 2:16. The Bible does not say that one will go to hell for divorce. Neither does it say that one will go to hell for any other sin. The only thing the Bible says a person will go to hell for is the rejecting of Jesus, who is the Son of God, who died on a cross for the sins of the whole world. There is a list of people who will be in hell in Revelation 21:9. The list is also repeated in Revelation 22:15. I think this means that those who die without having repented of their sins will not make it to Heaven. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. The difference is in those who have turned from those sins and stopped doing them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• dragonfly7271 - you're DH appears to have several misunderstandings about the Catholic faith and marriage. First, a divorce doesn't not mean someone is no longer part of the church. In fact, the church understands that in certain cases a civil divorce might be necessary. And an annulment doesn't mean someone was born "out of wedlock". An annulment doesn't say a legal marriage didn't occur - so the child was born 'in wedlock'. An annulment says that a valid sacrament of marriage didn't occur because there was something missing at the time of the marriage.

"12 Myths About Marriage Annulments"  is a helpful summary. 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Bible says. Matt. 5:31-32 says the Lord permits divorce only for "porneia." This Greek word generally means unlawful sexual intercourse due to either blood relations (also called incest) or nonsacramental unions. The Lord does not permit divorce for "moicheia" (adultery). It is also important to note that in these cases, a marriage never existed in the first place, so the Lord is not actually permitting divorce, but a dissolution of the unlawful union. So while a divorce may end a marriage in the legal sense - it doesn't end a marriage according to God. We can recognize that a valid marriage didn't occur - but we humans cannot end a valid marriage. The bible is quite clear on this "Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." (Mark 10:9). And there are valid reason for a couple to live separately - so I don't think a divorce means someone is automatically going to hell.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

Well eringobrough, that is not what the PRIEST told him or his mother. They would not allow his step sister into catholic school because his mother was a divorced catholic and could not "re-join" the catholic church or allow her into catholic school without an annulment. My DH has to testify to the priest. So did his brother. It was horrible and hypocritical, IMO.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• dragonfly7271 - Your comments indicate that the problem wasn't the divorce - it was the remarriage without an annulment. Which would be a problem because if a divorced Catholic remarries without an annulment they are committing adultry. Which is what the Bible teaches in Luke 16:18; 1 Cor. 7:10-12 Matt. 5:31-32; Matt. 19:3-9; Mark 10:2-12.

So a divorced person is not automatically kicked out of the church (nor condemned to hell) and a child of divorced parents is not considered 'born out of wedlock' if the marriage is annulled. In addition to the previous article I referenced "Catholic Marriage and Annulments" explain how Catholics believe marriage is more than a committment - it's a covenant.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• And lets not forget ladies, there are even different branches of the Catholic church. I know somethings that have been said about Catholicism was never taught to my husband. And he was actually in study to be an alter boy at the local Catholic church for a while.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2009