What do you think of when you hear that the Bible says to submit?

beccare2000

Asked by beccare2000 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think I'm going to have the time of my life with my concubine of men.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I take it you are refering to the whole husbands and wife deal?

I've learned that it means the wife should support her husband's decisions as long as they are in accord with bible standards. The husband should treat his wife in a kind, mild, gentle manner as Jesus did with the congregations.
    Anonymous

• I will submitt myself to my husbands opinion and not argue it.
    and he does the same
    To submit means to not go against the other persons grain. To be repectful of eachothers wisdom.
    Sadly to many men feel it means his wife is to be weak and she must obey his commands and "put out" when he has his needs
    Anonymous

• Since Jesus came to serve, not to be served (according to His own words) then it shouldn't be offensive to a Christian wife to serve her husband. If washing the feet of His disciples did not diminish or defile Jesus, then doing similar acts of service for a husband should not diminish or defile a wife who is following in Christ's footsteps. Jesus didn't say, "If you live up to my standards, then I'll serve you." Of course all of the disciples failed and stumbled and faltered and made mistakes; He cared for them regardless, with unconditional love. He was not a doormat, but He was not there to live out His will, but the Father's. Husbands AND wives alike are exhorted to care for, respect, honor, and serve their spouse in a Christlike way; there is no "If they EARN it" clause. In Christian belief, mankind did not, and COULD NOT, *earn* Jesus' sacrifice; He chose to gladly do it anyway. This is the model given to Christians.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Just to add, that it doesn't mean a wife has to follow her husband into sin, or accept abuse. But those things are the exceptions to the common scenario, and shouldn't be used as justification to nag, defy, or belittle your husband.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• To me it means that in God's wisdom, he designed a plan whereby there would be order and accountability in marriage. It means that my husband is the head of our home and that there is protection for me when I choose to honor that his place is superior to mine. It does not mean that he is a lord or dictator over me. In fact, it does not diminish my personhood in any way. I am his equal in every respect except for position in the home. I take great comfort in knowing that my husband is my protector for as long as I choose to be under his protection.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am going to be a smart Ass on this one... feeling it in me tonight...

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF WHEN YOU HEAR THAT THE BIBLE SAYS TO SUBMIT!?

"KISS my A**"  I do not submit to no one I believe that we are equal...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...... HOLY CRAP!!!!!! *wipes away tears* ..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

Seriously, if my husband ever came home to find me being 'submissive' to him, he'd check me for a fever & ship me away to the funny farm.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It's called "Stepford Wives" and  NOooooooooooooooooooooooo...lol

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• As you can see... Christians understand the concept of submitting. People who are not saved don't have God's guidance in understanding that it's not about being a doormat or robot, or whatever.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009