Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Abuse question...

Can a civilian report domestic abuse in an Army household? What I mean is my friends husband is Army and is physically abusive. If she won't report it, can I? I don't know his commander's name or anything. Is there a hotline or something I can call? They have 2 small daughters and he's already hit one of them and I'm afraid he's not going to stop. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer Question

Asked by vicki136 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Do you know his command at least? Where he works... PM me, I can try to help you

    Answer by onyourterms at 4:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • I know that he's a staff seargent (sp?). and that he's a cook but other then that no. I'm also afraid if I report him...he might take it out on her. Would they take him to jail? Or investigate without his knowledge?

    Answer by vicki136 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • Do they live on base? If they live off base, I would just call the cops when you know he's hitting her, and they can go investigate, and I'm sure they would inform the Army, or the Army would certainly find out at least. I don't know if the cops could go on base for it or not, maybe you could call and just ask?

    Answer by tropicalmama at 4:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • Abuse doesn't know the army or civilian life. If you report abuse, you'd be reporting to the child welfare agency. They would come check out the situation. Because most people involved in domestic violence don't think straight, and the wife typically thinks she can't live without her man, so she will deny all charges and continue to force her children to live in the situation. Sad.

    Answer by EireLass at 4:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • They don't live on base but she doesn't call while it's happening. I find out the day after. If I call CPS they'll come out though even if it's not happening at that moment? And that's all anon right? I don't want to make him angry and have him take it out on her but I can't just let him keep doing it you know? I think I'm going to let her parents know as well since they live near by. Maybe her dad will do something about it?????

    Answer by vicki136 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • if he is hitting the kids, report it to child protection and yes you will remain anon
    if you know about the abuse and don't report it and something happens it will be hanging over your head forever, the what ifs etc. also you can get into trouble for failing to report child abuse. Do it and you will feel better and know you are doing your best that you can.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • like anon 4:53 said, if you know about the abuse and you dont report it its against the law!! kids are in danger!!

    Answer by Breezy1988 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • I'd call the police and tell them the situation. They can notify the proper people in the military if they think they're not allowed to touch it. Make me proud, Vicki! Keep us posted, and I'll pray that they have a smooth transition.

    Answer by gimmeababy at 6:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • You can definitely call the MP's. When my xh was in the military, he knocked me unconscious while I was 6 mos. pregnant, and the MP's apparently showed up in no time flat, and he spent some time in the prison quarters on base, and also got demoted. I can tell you I am definitely not the one that called, it was my neighbors at the time. Abuse is frowned upon BIGTIME in the military since it's all supposed to be about honor. If you are worried, make an anonymous call. As far as I know they are required to at least check on the situation, just as civilian po's are. Even if nothing happened, at least there's a record of it being reported, and if someone else were to call about the same thing, they'd be more likely to take action.

    Answer by 7mom1977 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • Report it to CPS Protect the children. The mom will thank you for it in the long run. She'll do what is necessary to be with her kids. Let the authorities deal with him.

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.