My baby is almost 2 weeks old and is on breast milk only, his pediatrician wants me to give him poly vi sol the multi vitamin from enfamil, what is a clever way to give it to him? he doesnt take formula and I don't have a breast pump.

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a dropper.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• aim it towards the inside of his cheek.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It tastes horrible and can cause constipation. Is his iron low? Increase your iron intake with leafy greens or a supplement.
    Anonymous

• What is your ped's reason? Does your son have a medical condition? Your breastmilk is complete, perfect, biovailable nutrition for your infant, and unless your son has a diagnosed medical condition, no supplementing is necessary. Many pediatricians are not well educated about breastmilk and do not understand how it works, they think it needs to be fortified. I would seek a second opinion because unless there is a missing detail about an illness, your son does not need these vitamins at all.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't give it.. only because it is almost summer and you will have no problem getting baby vitamin D. Usually the peds rec. polyvisol for the D only w/breastfeeding moms. My first baby hated it, and would spit it up. I didn't know he didn't need it(born in April), I trusted my ped..and he really pushed it. My 2nd, I gave Vit. D drops only(which were flavorless).. but only because she was born in Dec. in MI.. not much sun at all. I stopped giving it to her now.
    Mommy2aQT

Answer by Mommy2aQT at 4:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• From drugs.com: "Multivitamins and iron are used to provide vitamins and iron that are not taken in through the diet. They are also used to treat iron or vitamin deficiencies caused by illness, pregnancy, poor nutrition, digestive disorders, and many other conditions." If you are breastfeeding him, he is getting all he needs through his diet. A multivitamin is not necessary, unless you yourself are seriously malnourished. Here is a great  site: Does My Baby Need Vitamins It will cover all the info you need to make this choice for your breastfed baby! Good luck, mama!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Your ped is a quack. Sorry.
    Breast milk has the complete nutrition. Nothing from formula could possibly give your son any advatages.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am vitamin D defeciant
    nessy1980

Answer by nessy1980 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Then he only needs literally 2 minutes a day of sun to get enough vit. D. That's according to my pedi. anyway, they only need the supplement after 6 months if youre exclusively BFing...i wouldn't give it to him. Just take him outside for a while.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my ped had recommend tri-vy-sol drops when my DD was 2 months old because she was a breastfed baby as well. i stopped giving it to her after a couple weeks and she was fine. HOWEVER, since you are Vitamin D deficient, not only should your baby take the Vitamin drops, but I hope that they recommend you take a supplement as well. I gave my baby the meds in the dropper, she just sucked it down like se was bf-ing. if you baby is more resistant to the vitamin drops, try a medi-nurser. it looks like a tiny, tiny bottle and is meant for giving meds/vitamins to little babies.
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2009