What was the worst thing a person said to you while BFing?

I'm due anyday now and, I just want to be prepared for peoples comments (strangers, family, ect), b/c I know they will have them. I was shocked by people comments about my "huge" belly I can imagine a breastfeeding in public comment. What did they say and how did you handle it?

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've been nursing my daughter for 18 months so far, have no problem doing infront of friends, family and in public - and I have never once had anyone say anything in the slightest bit offensive, or rude.

Best way to react if they do? Smile and chuckle.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• well i only breastfed for the first 2 months- but in that time i pretty much whipped them out where ever and whenever the baby was hungry lol- i remember the why dont u take that into the bathroom comments and i would turn give a little smirk and say- would u like to take ur lunch into the nasty public rest room and eat there? no then y should my baby? and leave it at that- but it only happened a few times- im sure there were rolled eyes and teeth sucking and funny looks but i didnt pay them any mind and neither should u- ur doing what u need for ur baby no matter wut people think- oh and be sure to look up ur rights- no one can kick u out of anywhere so dont let anyone try too! go to lalecheleague.com and review ur rights!
    Anonymous

• i never heard anything bad from anyone when i breasfed my son ..
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I bf my daughter for 8 months and my son for 10, and no one ever said anything rude. Don't be on the lookout for rude comments, just do your business.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I highly suggest not being an ass about it either. Be discreet where need be, you will be the better person for it. Don't just be popping your boob out wherever! I know bf is natural or whatnot, but America isn't used to it.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• prettyrayray has made the perfect point, dont be popping out your boob wherever, even though its a totally natural thing Ive seen some women not cover up and you could see nipple and all and personally i think that it was very selfish of them to not at least cover up or put a blanket over or something!!
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• After I had my first, we transferred to the hospital and I spent the night there. My little baby was nursing at 3 AM or something when the nurse came in to check whatever... she said, "Nursing again?" and I said, "Yes" expecting her to say something like "With all that nursing, your milk will come in fast!" or "What a champ, she's doing great!" or "Good for her" or ANYTHING positive. What she said was - to a first-time mama holding her 10 hours old tiny baby - was "Better make sure she doesn't use you for a pacifier!" I was so shocked I couldn't even come back with anything. I was just taken aback completely. My advice is educate yourself about breastfeeding, and do NOT let ignorant comments sabotage you. You don't have to be rude, but your baby always comes first - other people's sensibilities are way low on your list of priorities when you have a new sweet baby. Learn to smile and nod, and just let it go.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I didn't do it in public. I did it in the car if he was hungry or feed him before we went somewhere. People don't know how to plan?? I dislike breastfeeding in public, it's the women who think they have to take their shirts off that make it bad for everyone else. Yes, I've seen a woman take her shirt off to breastfeed in a mall.
    Anonymous

• "Can I get a shot o that for my Kahlua?"
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 5:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• And FWIW, I've been nursing for six years at this point, and I nurse in public when baby is hungry in public... I try to show no actual breast for my own personal modesty, but I also don't cover with a blanket or anything. Aside from the ignorant nurse's offhand discouraging remark that night in the hospital, I haven't had a single negative comment made to me, by anyone - and I've nursed through pregnancies and tandem nursed, and breastfeed past a year. There are horror stories of unsupportive relatives, under-informed medical professionals and opinionated strangers... and the best way to deal with them is by being educated and confident in your choice.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2009