If your little one takes an afternoon "rest" instead of a nap, how long do you leave her?

Mine is in the process of dropping her afternoon nap (sigh). Somedays she naps, some not. I want to keep giving her the chance to sleep and giving her (and me) a break and some rest if she doesn't. How long do you have your preshooler lay down for in the afternoon if she doesn't sleep?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My younger two go down every day from 2-4. Whether my three year old sleeps or not it is his choice but that is quiet time in bed. I refuse to give up the naps at 3 and he still needs them. Some days he sleeps and others he reads books, practices his rhymes and alphabet... He knows it's quiet time though.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 8:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• 15 to 20 minutes max. I feel your pain!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• about an hour if its a rest...if its a nap 2-3 hours
    mommysgirls0305

Answer by mommysgirls0305 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• 30min - 1 hr.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• 30 min - hour..i'll put on a movie she likes or give her some books and tell her she has to stay in bed for quiet time, and that mommy is having quiet time too. if its a movie she has to lay on the couch since she doesn't have a tv in her room.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• 1 hour. He can have a few books, but the lights are dimmed, his cd is on....everything like regular naptime. If he's getting antsy about staying in there I set an alarm and tell him "when the clock goes beep beep beep he can come out." Then if he falls asleep I go in and turn it off.
    erika.lyn

Answer by erika.lyn at 9:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have a 4 year old daughter.She has adhd.I put her down for and hour.she might not go to sleep. but she stay on her bed until the hour is up. Ido let her have one baby in bed with her, But sometime she gives me a hard time. but she knows not to get out of bed and come out of her room. she goes to the bathroom befour she lay down. She might cry when she is in there I will see if there anything wrong with her before i go out of the room. If there is nothing wrong with her i just let her cry herself asleep.
    Laurakenny10

Answer by Laurakenny10 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• We got a kitchen timer for my 4 year old, we set it to an hour and she has to stay in bed and read until the timer goes off, I go in and check after 45 mins so if shes sleeping I can get the timer before it goes off. She likes to have something that tells her how long quiet time is. I think the term "quiet time" sits better with her than naptime.
    MacyLiamRoan

Answer by MacyLiamRoan at 3:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009