Does anyone's SO work for a Railroad Co.?

My SO's friend told him about working for a Railroad Co. and I was just wondering if anyone's SO does. What do they do and is it really dangerous? Thanks!

oxojen178oxo

Asked by oxojen178oxo at 5:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• my dad retired from the railroad. He was a train mechanic. Yes it can be dangerous work and the man lost most of his hearing, tore his rotator cuff, and lost part of a finger. But he loved his job and my brother now works for the same company.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I honestly had an uncle charley who was an engineer on the B and M railroad, Boston to Maine. We used to wave to him when he went by. good memory. Sounds like there will be future investment in high speed transit.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My step-moms hubby works for the railroad... the hours are long, but the pay is excellent. He is a driver in their state who picks up and drops off crews when they switch over... He does say that it depends on the operators that you work with, some are horrible but others are great - so just like any other career, if the pay is worth it what will you put up with.

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 12:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It depends on what your job is rather its dangerous or not. I have family that worked there until retirement,loved it.The pay is pretty good actually. This was the B&O RR,.which now is CSX. I would think with the current state of our country,having A job would be great,rather its dangerous or not; who can afford to be that picky to pay the bills??
    Anonymous

• My husband works for a railroad here in maine. He is a foreman for a certain part of track that he takes care of. He mostly makes sure that track is safe for the train to go over, and not have any type of derailments. My husband can be gone for long hours if things come up ( broken rail, etc that need to be done asap) he works a lot of overtime in the winter when we have snow, and he needs to shovel switchs in order to keep the train running. It can be a very dangerous job if one is not careful. they have things called OCS, which they can the dispatcher that talks to everyone and asks for permission to be on a part of a track at a certian time, and the dispatcher is suppose to make it so that person doesnt get hit by a train or other people who are also on the track. I dont know if this has helped. you can always add me, if you want to talk..or have your friend add me if they have CM
    chicka1313

Answer by chicka1313 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My Husband also works for a Railroad here in Maine. The pay is good as well as the insurance. It is a very scary job though for the wives I think. As long as your Husband follows the rules he will do fine. I think that there is a chance in any field of dangers. ;) Please feel free to contact me for any further questions I can help with in more detail!
    Serha32

Answer by Serha32 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010