Maybe you can help me: Maybe I just live in a very...conservative area, but here's what I am struggling with. I would like to believe in God. I'd like to believe in what people claim: loving, good, etc.

My problem is that I am apparently way more open-minded than the people I meet, b/c I have no problem with things like homosexuality. I am pro-choice, although I believe that having an abortion for any reason other than rape or medical necessity is selfish. The people that I meet, that believe in God, disagree with me, which is fine, but they are very rude and harsh in their disagreement. They feel this need to change my mind, or to tell me I'm an awful person, and some have even called me names. These reactions put me off believing, b/c I feel like to believe would turn me into these people. So, if there are any others who feel like me, but do believe in God, how do you reconcile this? How do you believe what you believe and not be put off by the people who act like this? And please, don't try to change my mind on the other stuff....that's not what I need, or am asking for. If you want to change my mind, close the question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Christian, and I completely agree with you on the homosexuality (I'm just 150% pro-life, which isn't really for religious reasons, or at least completely), and I hope I can help.
    I am able to brush off people who are judgmental or rude by reminding myself that my relationship with God is personal, and that others don't have the same relationship with Him as I do, and while they may be acting in a way God would not approve of (seeing as we are called to LOVE), I am in no position to judge them, and I cannot judge the perfect God off of the actions of imperfect people.
    I remind myself that its not about living a religion, but about living a relationship, and that I don't need their approval to feel His love flowing through me and to know what I believe in my heart is what matters to me.
    To me, Christianity is about the GOOD news, and about love and compassion and joy. People miss that point, but I certainly don't have to.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I'm not Christian, but I wish you the best!! There are others out there like you, I live in a conservative area as well, and I have Christian friends who are very open minded as well.
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am in your exact same boat. I won't raise my child in a church that teaches him everyone should have the same beliefs. It is very hard to deal with.
    Anonymous

• Maybe explain thats why there are so many denomiations.
    I am a Pagan and we have differing beliefs, including but not limited to politics. We understand that we need the diversity. We encourage it and treasure it.
    May you find the same peace within your path.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Don't worry about trying to fit in a religious box - what matters is your relationship with God, and others cannot take that away from you, no matter what they call you or say about you. You know in your heart where you stand on the issues that matter to you and where you stand with God, and no one else can see or judge you on that. All that matters is being true to yourself and believing something because you honestly believe it, not because someone tells you that you must in order to "fit in" or to be a "true" Christian.
    I really hope that their negative effect on you isn't something that pushes you away from God, because, while I don't believe you MUST have a relationship with Him, I do believe it to be a glorious, wonderful thing indeed, and I wouldn't want anyone missing out on that love and joy because of the judgment and coldness of others.
    I really hope you're able to find your peace!!!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Bandgeek,I hope more Christians find that same sort of peace that you and the OP have. You will get people saying that they are not supposed to be liked and will continue to not look toward the path of peace. But those same people are without compassion and empathy. Your hearts have a beautiful light, people like you two are what is rare.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I'm the OP - Bandgeek, thank you so much for your answer. You are the kind of person I WISH I could meet in my area. And pnwmom, thank you for your answers as well. I always like reading your answers to questions; I seem to agree with you almost always. I feel better now about this whole thing, just seeing that there are people out there that are different than the ones I meet (I knew not all of them were like the ones I meet, but to have solid proof makes it easier! lol).

Thank you to the others who responded as well. All of these answers have helped me see I am not alone. Thank you.
    Anonymous

• I assume you mean the Christian God, because of what you said. That sounds like a lot of Christians. I believed in a higher power, but did not believe in the Christian teachings in a lot of ways, so I started reading about other religions. I'm now Pagan (sort of eclectic Wiccan). I know how you feel about living somewhere where people think you're this horrible person if you don't believe absolutely everything they do. Good luck with finding what you're searching for. Maybe (this is just a suggestion) you should look at other religions and see how your beliefs and the beliefs of that religion match up. I hope you find what you're looking for.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I believe a Uniterian is a very open deverse congregation.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I found "For ME" that to submit to God is to do his will and not my own,(Jesus even said "Not my will but yours" Matt 26:39) to live by his standards not my own even if I started out not agreeing or understanding why, it has to do with placing trust in what he says is right and wrong, I took Proverbs 3:5, 6 to heart because I'm imperfect and he is not, he created us and knows whats best for us.

I don't seek to do my will if it's in conflict with his.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009