Do you find it funny how the "older" generation uses the "we did ___ and we turned out okay" arguement?

You know what I mean the:
My parents beat me and I turned out ok
My parents smoked around me and I'm ok
I didn't wear seatbelts as a kid, and I am alive
My dad left me and I am ok
I ate sugar and kool aid and candy and I am ok
I watched TV and I am still smart
I grew up in daycare and I am happy
and the list could go on and on

But when you take a look around at our society we AREN'T ok. The majority marriages end in divorce. We have a throw away attitude instead of fixing our problems. Our country has the most obese people in the world. There are so many people on anti-depressants and other perscription drugs it is a multi-billion dollar industry. Cancer rates have been skyrocketing the last few decades. "Retirement homes" are packed with the elderly who have children who don't want to visit or care for them.

Why can't we as a society progress? Can't we look back at past mistakes and do what we can to fix them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, not when the choices they make are constantly attacked.

Anonymous

• Yes, but then people would have to admit they were wrong!........
    Anonymous

• wow...I would love to meet someone who was breast fed as a baby and their parents didn't make them "cry it out" as my mother says
    QuintinsMom520

Answer by QuintinsMom520 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• First of all, mind your manners you young whippersnapper, and respect your elders.
    They may not have been perfect, but they did a hell of a job raising children back then. You could learn a lesson or two.
    And yes, I drank Kool-aid,. ate real butter, were raised by parents that smoke, drank water from the garden hose, and got my ass whipped when I disobeyed. I am a very well adjusted, intelligent, healthy adult who is very successful.
    Now excuse me while I go feed my child a glass of cow's milk and homemade choc chip cookies.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• As one of those "older people" who occasionally says that (not often) sometimes it is said to help young parents not feel so guilty about one small lapse or one mistake that is over and will never be repeated. It's like, "well it happened, but as long as it doesn't happen again, we did that and we didn't die from it, so your child probably won't either." It's kind of like a comfort thing for younger, inexperienced, scared parents.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• im sorry but the people that actually were raised with older beliefes and not this screwed up thing people call parenting now , they actually did turn out great . i for one am nothing like any of the nuts jobs that are around and ya we didnt wear seatbelts we are fine our mom spanked us we are fine our mom staied hoem with us we are fine .. i dotn see how getting aspanking or going to daycare or beign smoked arund and not wearing seat belt hasanything to do with divorce rates these days. i think you just wanted to complain
    Anonymous

• Of course some of the things from back then were found to be not so good for us.I still do not thi go over the top and pretty much panic over everything to the point my children might as well live in bubbles.I can say personally it is true for myself and hubby we did turn out ok.We are not unhealthy,not obease etc.We didn't watch alot of tv we were typically outside playing as children and yes we drank from the garden hose sometimes lol.I guess i'm "older" but i'm only 34.I am not saying my kids should not be in carseats or wear seat belts and their sugar intake should not be limited and such but when does it end when they are in bubbles and have no life or fun? Not going to happen to my kids.I know a few people who did this with theirs and I mean babied them too much and now the boy is a man 23 yrs old and is scared to even get a drivers licsense.
    As for marriages going to crap I say alot of that falls on
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• too many people not taking their vows seriously and things like adultery not being such a big deal in their eyes.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I find it amusing. I really enjoy(sarcasm) when my mil tells me I did blah blah blah and your dh is fine. Out of three children all are obese, only one has a job, a college education, or contributes to society. I'm not going to do everything she did because obviously it didn't work.
    Anonymous

• As one from the older generation.... I, too, am sometimes guilty of this.
    What I've learned is, in the long run, you really have very little control in life. You can plan...do things exactly correct according to yourself. and shit happens, through no fault of your own.
    Whatever you do as a parent, the next generation will do it differently.
    We are all going to die. Like it or not... so enjoy life as much as you can and don't sweat the little things.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 6:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009