Newborn Formula.

I'm using Similac advance infant formula and my baby seems to spit it up not a whole lot but here and there.

What other formula should I try for her? She isn't very old I know it takes them a min to adjust but I just was wondering incase she doesn't stop spitting it up what other formula should I try.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try breastfeeding.
    And I don't mean that is a snarky kind of way.

Really, it's right there ready to be used, and is much better, your new baby is worth it.
    Anonymous

• breast milk is the safest thing for a newborn or any baby. go to breastfeeding.com to find a certified lactation consultant. she can help you start up again. your baby isn't very old, so it shouldn't be hard.
    Anonymous

• Oh ladies I have tried the consultant at the hospital helped me or tried. My little one isn't latching on. I want to breastfeed but my breast have already bruised and bled from my baby not latching on right.
    Anonymous

• Not latching right is terrible, but can surely be fixed. Attend a La Leche League meeting and set up another appointment with a certified lactation consultant. It's too soon to call it hopeless. Message me if you want more help.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Are you sure that there is something wrong with the formula? Switching formulas all the time is no good for a baby's tummy. Maybe you are feeding her too much/not burping enough? I would talk to my doctor before switching her formula. GL =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Babies spit up. If they are spitting up a LOT, then it's time to discuss things with the pediatrician. However, spitting up (breast fed or formula fed) happens with babies. It doesn't really mean there is anything wrong with the formula.

If you were feeding too much (which is difficult because they will stop eating when they are full in general), she would be spitting up consistently and spitting up at least an ounce or two.

Invest in some burp rags.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yeah - I agree with TiccledBlue - babies do tend to spit up; they get sooo hungry they eat WAY to fast or too much...

But skip the burp rags; crap rolls right off them; lol - get some cloth diapers and use them as burp/feeding cloths; loved them =)

I suggest to start; try feeding slower...make sure the LO is propped at an angle (in your arms before ppl freak on me) and not horizontal...and if your LO seems to be inhaling the formula; pull the bottle out and let them breathe for a min and then give it back...etc

Also you don't mention how old exactly your LO is; but generally speaking 2-4oz/feeding should be sufficient for a 'newborn' - anymore would cause them to spit up; just from not having enough room in there =)

Then; you can tell your Pedi; I've tried x/y/z and my LO is still spitting up should be consider switching? etc...

Good Luck =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• spitting up does happen, but SIGNIFICANTLY less with exclusively breastfed babies. that particular formula may not be the problem. formula in general is very bad for baby bellies and other things.
    Anonymous

• My baby WOULDNT latch so I kept working and working and it finally worked! Dont give up! If it takes a bit of pumping then do it. You wont have to worry about formula then either! Best of luck!
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 7:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I had the biggest issue with breasfeeding!!!!! I am telling you though if I can do it so can you. I would try to get her to latch for hours. I thought I could never do this but I hung in there and now she (And myself) is a pro. lol It was one of the best decisins I have made. Good luck and if you do still use formula it doesnt mean its bad but maybe your baby needs to be burped more or maybe try organic formula. I have friends that use formula so I know a litle bit about it. Good luck.
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 8:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2009