What to do about my 9 month old sons tooth coming out after falling into door..? Has this happened to anyone before, i feel so awful..pleasse help

Yesterday my son who is 9 months old and pulling himself up on things fell and started bleeding from his mouth on the way to the Er i noticed that it was not only chipped but had moved as well, the doctors were pretty much no help, and i feel so awful.. there are no dentists open until Monday but I dont know if the tooth is going to last that long and NO ONE Seems to consider this an Emergency.. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else.. I dont know what to do..? Please help!!

Hucksmommie

Asked by Hucksmommie at 5:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well DS was just over two and he knocked a tooth out. He is so clumsy and had fallen so much that it loosened, tightened back up , and then was loosened again before it finally got knocked out. I felt bad for him but his dentist said it really isn't a big deal- there is nothing that can be done. You have two choices- let it go and see if it tightens back into place, or let them just pull it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Ugh, I have nightmares about this. My son is almost 11 mo. old and pulls himself up onto everything. I'm scared he's going to fall right on his face and bust his teeth out.

I hope everything works out alright! At least you have a lot of moms on here and could give you advice. Sorry I'm not one of them!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Is the tooth loose? Sometimes the tooth will tighten back up in there after some time. You want to keep the tooth in as long as possible as he won't be getting his permanent tooth in until he is about 4 or 5. The problem with loosing a tooth this early is that the other teeth will shift to close the space causing some difficulty for the permanent tooth to come in. Sometimes the tooth will abcess after a while due to the trauma. There really isn't much you can do, but just wait and see. There is always a way to work it our especially if you have a good dentist. You should lake him to a pediactric dentist as they probably see this more often. Hope this helps...
    Anonymous

• Your concern is valid. The PP's are correct. Usually, the tooth will tighten up. If you are concerned and let the doctor and nurses know this, you should have asked for a second opinion. The doctor you might have wanted to consult for a second opinion is a dentist that is an oral surgeon. I learned this from experience. If you live in the North where it snows and you take your children sledding, I want you to remember one thing. Those cheap plastic sleds, with enough force to go shooting down the hill, can knock out teeth. If anyone tells their kid to start down the hill and the other kids will get out of the way, it is ok to tell them off. I am one paranoid mom. My oldest is 11. In a year and a half, we visited the ER 4 times. There are times my children scare the bajeebees out of me. God help me!
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009