Older generation parenting vs. our generation

When I was a baby mothers were not encouraged to breast feed. According to my mother I should "let my baby cry it out" she says I should let him cry on purpose. She says I shouldn't let him sleep in the bed with me either. I read that children have high self esteem from sleeping in he bed with parents. Would love to hear what others have to say about this......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started writing like that because I ran out of room to continue writing properly.
    I ment look at our generation when it comes to letting them cry it out, now alot of them have attachment issues and problems with their parents and such. I wasn't linking breastfeeding to the problems of our generation.

Im not saying all babies either.... but SOMTHING WENT WRONG with how parents were raising their children. My mother is a horrible mother. I am the only one who has graduated from high school and I am #4 of 6. So maybe deviating(I know a big word for someone who writes like I do) from the way our parents did things would make our children just a bit better
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 7:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• go with your instincts. listen to your heart.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Take a good look around at our society. Just becuase people did things one way in the past doesn't make it the right way. A lot of people are suffering now because of their parents unintentional mistakes. Do what you know is right and don't worry about others.
    Anonymous

• Everything changes constantly between us learning new things and being scared of others...

When I was born in the 70's - no they were not 'encouraged' to BF if they wanted fine if not here's the formula...we didn't have car seats; we rode home from the hospital in our mother's arms, etc...kids injested more HFCS and saturated fat than we could shake a stick at; and while not recieving quite as many vaccinations as we have avail now; they were all regularly vaccinated...and it was even "worse" when my parents were children...and yet the human race didn't die out now did it?
    Anonymous

• You're right, breastfeeding, never letting your kid cry alone, and also bedsharing is actually the BEST things you can do for your child.
    Anonymous

• Well I don't let my daughter sleep with me and I did let her cry when she was an..infant (she never really cries anymore unless she is hungry/bored/hurt) And these are the BEST things for my child and self.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I know what you mean, there was a time when they thought that formula was better and that crying it out made them stronger... well obviously it went wrong some way or another because look at our generation!??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? Think about how we are slowly stepping back into the way things used 2B. We r finding out that before we started processing everything that we were healthier & stronger. I put my baby in the bed with me sometimes and she isnt "clingy" and will go into a crib if I put her there. I breastfeed & she is 16lbs at 4 1/2months and very tall too. And because I worked out while I was pregnant instead of resting all the time (like they recommended in our parents gen), I pushed her out in 1hr (she was 8.7lbs) & crying it out has been shown 2 produce children w/attachment issues.
    Its ur baby, u do what u think is best. IMO a more natural approach is best. The less processed anything you give them is the better.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 6:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Your kids, your choice.

Self esteem doesn't have a damn thing to do with where a kid sleeps. It has to do with how a child is raised, how he is treated by his parents and extended family, how he is taught about the things around him.
    Anonymous

• Parenting is definately different now that it was when we were babies. Through reseach they have discovered things that make it different. My DS had trouble with breastfeeding..I pumped for the first 6 months of his life. When I told my mom that I wasn't going to pump anymore and that I was moving on to formula..her comment was, "Well you should be drying up by now anyways." She was never schooled on the fact that you can't dry up until baby stops nursing. I have two sisters, We were all 100% formula fed babies. Both my sisters have children who were all 100% formula fed babies. If they as a parent didn't do something than they will not know enough to give advice about that topic.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 6:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• * HunnysFarAway

Look at our generation? What does formula have to do with our generation? Most of our generation still knows how to write properly (thank goodness), however, those numbers are dropping. More and more are starting to write like you. You're not helping the reputation of "our generation" at all.
    Anonymous