• In the Spotlight:

When did Smokers become the worst people in America?

I mean, a war on drugs was fought, and lost, so now it's a war on Smokers. As a smoker, I've tried to respect those around me, I don't infringe on anyone's right, and yet, no matter what I do, I, and people like me, are considered the new "crack heads" of the nation. So when did we become the worst people in America?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My issue is that they keep raising the cost of cigs. I don't smoke now, but I used to, and I have family that do. It is ridiculous how much they have raised the prices. Fine, but let's add more tax to the price of alcohol and fast food. If you are going to target something that is sooooo bad for you then don't single one thing out. The price of a whopper should go up $1.50 too and put some of that money into funding health care for all kids....especially the overweight ones whose parents are feeding them happy meals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• the "war on drugs" has nto been lost and still i going on .
    peopel attack smokers because research leads them to believe it .
    why does it matter . if you a smoker obviously it hasnt changed you smoking .
    Anonymous

• Well, we smokers are a step in front of fat people and a step behind anyone on PA, Food stamps or unemployment. People are rigid and unfeeling now a days.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Who cares about the smokers - start a war on the FATTIES!

Why is it acceptable to walk past a smoker and say "you know you're going to kill yourslef right?" but not walk past a fat person and say "You know you look disgusting and weak willed right, and that you disgrace out country?"

Anonymous

• But every time I turn around, someone is putting down smokers, which is why I asked. I don't drink, do drugs, go out, sleep around or anything like that. About the only vice I have left is smoking. I look at is as there are so many worse things out there that I can be doing, but because I smoke, I'm an awful person. People forget that when the research came out about second hand smoke, the majority of smokers said cool, they could respect that and not smoke around others. It's like we opened ourselves up as targets just because we tried to respect others.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Why is it acceptable to walk past a smoker and say "you know you're going to kill yourslef right?" but not walk past a fat person and say "You know you look disgusting and weak willed right, and that you disgrace out country?"

Shh you might hurt their feelings. They always have a medical excuse now. When in reality 99% of them don't. They just eat poorly and don't excercise. I smoke. I ran a marathon last year. I weigh 110 lbs and am healthy. Much more so than most of the fatties around here.
    Anonymous

• Im fat and proud of it. I am also a smoker and proud of it. If people dont like it then they can walk away.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I totally agree with the pp. I am also a smoker and a runner. As is my husband. I am in really good shape. I run 4 miles every day no problems. As far as the fat people are concerned, I think they are more of a problem to health insurance companies than smokers. as long as you don't smoke around your children or around other people than you are good!!
    Anonymous

• It is still okay to attack smokers and fat people. Everyone else we have to accept and be politically correct towards. A "crackhead" is no longer a "crackhead" they are now addiction challenged. An "abuser" is no longer an "abuser" they are suffering from their past and need to be loved and understood and accepted for who they are. Political correctness isn't helping us it is only shutting us up. We are now scared to speak the truth because we might hurt someone's feelings.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 6:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I smoke and dont give a shit what anyone thinks.Its my choice to make.Oh and to Quote stacymomof2 I'm also fat,on foodstamps,and my hubby just got laid off so hes getting unemployment.Damn I guess I just white trash.LOL.
    Anonymous