Why are we called Mammals if we can't breastfeed?

I mean, about 90% of formula feeders (and that's more than half the population of mothers in the US) say they COULDN'T breastfeed - so then why are we still called mammals if the breastfeeding failure rate is that high?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We pretty much all can, it's just there are other options. I for one don't give 2 craps how you feed your kid ok. But think about it, if there were NO formula, then what? You bf or your kid dies from starvation.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes, this would be a "LMAO" moment.

Puts things into perspective huh? "Couldn't" indeed.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Good point, I gess we can all really breastfeed, just most women won't admit that they COULD have.
    Anonymous

• Not all women can, some really con not breastfeed, ever heard of a wet nurse?
    Anonymous

• Because things are much different now than they were millions of years ago when mammals first appeared on earth.

There may be environmental issues, there may be evolution issues (genetic changes) or any other myriad of reasons.

Just because you are one of the lucky ones who was able to do it, don't discount the efforts and problems of others who CAN'T. And yes...there are MANY women who can't.

So drop the shit already and knock it off. You and the other breastfeeding nazi's aren't the know-it-all's you seem to think you all are.
    Anonymous

• Well whatever you say, but I actually COULDN'T. I breastfed for 3 months straight, and then just one day I wasn't producing. Kept trying for a week, but I wasn't producing a single drop. That being said I am VERY GRATEFUL for formula. Otherwise my baby girl would starve to death.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think many women that say they CANT don't mean they can't physically. I could have physically if I had tried harder, I just wasn't strong enough mentally to feel like going through all that when formula was so much easier. Bash me, my baby is healthy anyway!
    Anonymous

• Just because one has the equipment, doesn't mean the equipment always works. While rare, it does happen in the wild as well. In some animal communities, other mothers will take over ("wet nurse" sound familiar?) and in others the infant will end up dying.

Survival of the fittest and science has helped humans along in their survival.
    Anonymous

• Anon number nine, you don't need to bashed at all, you told the TRUTH. Now if only more "didn't make enough after supplementing blah...." would too everyone would be a little happier!! :)
    Anonymous

• Questions like this are why sometimes I hate to tell people I breastfeed. It makes it seem like women who breastfeed are rude, disrespectful, incompassionate, and have a superiority complex.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2009