what to do with terouble twos?

my son just turned 3 yrs old and he thinks he's boss. sometimes he screames at me and wamts his way I don't know the proper way to disapline a 3 yr old that works.

christinalandon

Asked by christinalandon at 7:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Firm voice, repeating your self MANY times, remaining consistent and after the third time in a row gentle tap on the butt.... It's a pain in the a$$ it's frustrating but it does work!!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• immediate action, don't say if you don't do this then later you won't get this. b/c then they think well i'm still doing it....time out (3 mins has to sit there whole time, if he gets up start the time over again), turn off the tv, early nap/bed time, leave the store, taking away a fave toy for a certain period of time. when the punishment is over explain why you did it like " you went to time out because mommy told you not to throw your toy and you did it anyways" also my daughter has to apologize if the bad deed was directed at someone, like a tone of voice, finger wagging (thats her fave right now to wag her finger at people), grabbing stuff etc...after doing the explaining thing for awhile you can ask him to tell you why he went and you'll be shocked to see that hes figured it out on his own. good luck!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• consistency.
    it might not feel like it (i know i wonder some days) but they WILL break if you are consistent with rules and consequences.
    overt and over and over. ugh. lol.
    i feel for you! good luck!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 7:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think he's looking for attention and bad attention is still attention. my son did this, what got him to stop was I would say very firm "you will NOT talk to me like this, and I don't talk to bad boys" then I would walk away and ignore him, I do the dishes and other choirs (keeping an eye on him but not looking right at him or answering him) this made him cry of course, but it was a different cry. after a few minutes I'd say " are you going to be a good boy now" if he says yes then I would give him a hug to reinsure him mommy still loves him. after awhile it stops all together.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 4:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009