EBF Multiples?

Has anyone been able to exclusively breast feed multiples?

I have had trouble conceiving...especially with my first, and I know the risks of any fertility treatments are multiples so I have thought about whether or not I would be able to keep up with them if we go for our third and end up with our third, fourth and fifth or something :)

I figured I would at least alternate feedings so they got a percentage of their food from milk, but I'm sure it would be hard to keep up with multiple babies.

Any success stories? Or what did you do?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know several moms who exclusively breastfed twins. Milk is made on supply and demand so when you have 2 babies nursing, your body usually does not have trouble making twice as much milk. Most women will have no trouble making enough milk for triplets, with more than 3 though it gets harder. Your body actually prepares the breasts for feeding while you are pregnant and your body "knows" when you are carrying multiple babies and primes your body to make more milk.

Look for the book "Mothering Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins or More!" (La Leche League International Book) by Karen Kerkhoff Gromada
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have a friend who successfully EBF her twins. It can be done, but takes dedication, as does breastfeeding in general.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I read a story about a woman who EBF triplets(I'm pretty sure she was in my town). And I know at least one mom personally who is EBFing twins. You just need a lot of support. Well, you need a lot of support to BF ONE baby, and you need a lot of support just to care for multiples, so I think you can get the picture. :) But you can do it.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I know a mom who EBF twins until they were both 23 months old. It is hard, but you can do it and even if they only get some breastmilk and you have to supplemtn that is better then none at all.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I HAD TWIN..I DID NOT BF EM..IT WOULD HAVE BEEN REAL HARD. THAY ARE BORN SMALL AND EAT MORE OFFTEN..JOM..IT CAN B DONE..JUST NEED TO WORK AT IT.
    KRISSH

Answer by KRISSH at 8:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It's totally doable. Your body can make milk for as many as it can carry =) A sling will be your best friend in that situation.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Completely possible, but you have to really work at it. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be fine. Join breastfeeding groups on cafemom and call a lactation consultant
    MrsC7906

Answer by MrsC7906 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2009