Potty training 21 month old son

So we are trying to potty train our 21 month old son, and everytime we try to sit him on his potty he starts to cry so we tried letting him run around naked so when he goes we can tell him to run to his potty but when he goes on the floor he starts to cry and runs away like he did something wrong even though we dont yell at him and we tell him its ok that we all have acadents and to try to use his potty but again when we try to put him on it he crys what should i do? how do we get him to use his potty?

Mrs.Jolly

Asked by Mrs.Jolly at 7:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is about the same age and he just isn't developmentally ready yet. Maybe if you hold off for a little while things will be easier.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't force him to sit there if he's not into it. If you do want to try training him, I'd try to put him in underwear and a shirt only, (not bottomless), and when he starts to go just act natural about it and put him on the potty, explaining that that's where pee pee goes, and reward him if a little makes it in. This worked for my daughter at 19 months after a few days. Lots of accidents and then it just clicked. But if he already has some negative associations from screaming while you were having him sit there, I'd put it away for a few days before starting to do this.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am also trying to potty train. My daughter is 20 months old. She likes the little potty that we got her, but she refuses to sit long enough to go to the bathroom. She'll sit for a little while and then she gets up and ends up peeing on herself like 2 minutes later. My aunt told me of a new method that seems to work for a lot of people. You just let your child go without a diaper....just underwear and pants. You show them and explain where the pee pee and poo poo goes and everytime they pee on themselves, sit them on the potty. Eventually they are supposed to understand where they are supposed to potty and this method is supposedly guaranteed to work in 3-5 days. Also, a reward once they do go to the bathroom in the potty is supposed to be a big helper. I am attempting this with my daughter and it's taking a while, but I think that it will work.
    Dani.Nichole

Answer by Dani.Nichole at 10:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I let my all three of my boys run around without anything on below the waist. They did pee on the floor. Eventually, they figured out that they were supposed to pee in the potty chair. My two youngest children had no desire to sit on the potty chair. I was persistent, and eventually, they figured it out. I would put them on the potty chair whenever I sat down to use the toilet. Potty training boys love to pee on bushes, trees, off the deck, etc. If I put underpants on my 2 1/2 yr. old ds, he wets them every time. If I leave them off, he will not have an accident all day. Basically, there are 4 stages in potty training. They are as follows: getting them used to the potty chair, letting them run around the house without underwear all day and they have no accidents, putting underwear on them and they have no accidents, and the last one is they don't wet their beds when they sleep through the night. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2009