This probably sounds stupid but...

When do children/babies start to understand NO? My son just looks at me an laughs.

DessaG20

Asked by DessaG20 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son does the same thing! He's almost 8 months...I don't think he understands. And I am not sure when they start.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My kids are older now and they still don't understand the word No . So I guess we just have to grin and bare it .
    Anonymous

• around the age of 1 they understand what it means, but that doesn't mean they will actually listen to you :)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Around 8 months. Our youngest grandchild is 10 months now, and he already knows what "no" means. He has already learned to not touch some things that we don't want him to touch. And we do spank his little hands and he does get an occasional swat on his leg. He already knows that if he heeds the "no" word he does not have to suffer the consequences, light though they are. He is about to walk and he is already well into being trained to obey and respect the authority of his elders. It is a beautful thing!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• tristyn used to do that..well she still does but she understands i think thats why she laughs sumtimes
    mamatoya08

Answer by mamatoya08 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Sometime between 10 and 15 mos, they start to grasp the concept better... it doesn't mean they have the impulse control to stop their hands even then, but it's definitely starting to sink in.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my kids are 10 years and 5 years they still dont undersand the word no
    nikki398

Answer by nikki398 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Depends on how it's used. They won't REMEMBER though, until after 2 when their long-term memory starts to fully develop. So telling them No once doesn't work - which is why it's not of much use until after 2. Until then, give the word but re-direct them to something else instead of expecting them to "obey" when you say no.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my son is 1 (as of tomorrow =) ) he kinda sorta understands no, but for a while SO and I were overusing it and he'd just continue whatever he was doing until one of us physically removed him from it and he'd throw a fit. so we started saying UH UH, or dont do that, and only use NO if he's doing something that could hurt him. since using NO less, he kinda understands to back off and move onto somthing else.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My daughter started to understand "No" when she was 7 months old, but I don't expect her to obey every time...she's way too young (now almost 10 months old). I firmly believe in re-directing her to another activity. It's no fun for a baby to keep hearing "no" over and over and over again! They are exploring their environment...they aren't trying to "get into trouble". But they do need boundaries...that's where baby-proofing comes into play...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2009