Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am torn and don't know what to do...

I had a c-sec with my DD after 26 hours of labor for failure to progress. Well with this pregnancy I have had my labor stopped 3 times at 32 weeks, 34 weeks and 35 weeks. This last round at 35 weeks I was haveing contractions every minute and half and I still didn't dialate. Well went to Dr on Wed no more dialation or effacement and he has moved back up from 0 station to -1. My question is do I put myself thru a long labor again to end up with another section or should I just schedule the csection. The most important thing to me is that we are both healthy. Only positive answers please no bashing. I just don't know what to do. Also with my DD I only got to a 5 and I went in at a 2.5.

Answer Question
 
newmommy61207

Asked by newmommy61207 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I am currently at a 1 and 50%, I forgot to put that.
    newmommy61207

    Answer by newmommy61207 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • i have opted for a c-section this time, again. with my dd i was induced in labor for 3 days and had not progressed at all. and after i was told i have scar tissue on my cervix and it may not be able to efface fully, which may be why i never made it past about 35% effaced. so i decided after about 3 months of debate to have a c-sec again. my husband will not be there and i just cant picture who knows how long labor just to have to have a c-sec again. maybe you could make an arrangement with your dr, after 12 hours you have a c-sec? something like that. i think part of my decision was based on the fact that i know what to expect from a c-sec, vaginally i don't. and well honestly, i've already got a scar from her, why have to have a scar and a va jay jay that is different too. thats concieted i know, but well that was a small part.
    vabchmommy

    Answer by vabchmommy at 7:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • I opted for repeat c-sections. It seems like it was easier on me, which made it better on my babies.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • Why not schedule a c-section a week after your due date?
    njmommy2boys

    Answer by njmommy2boys at 8:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • I would try...it doesn't sound like it is time for you to deliver yet, and every pregnancy is different.

    Personally, I am terrified of a c-section. I have always healed really well after my deliveries. I mean, up walking around within a few minutes, feeling good, never had to take anything for pain afterward. I was always scared of the pain and difficult healing after a c-section...that I wouldn't be able to take care of my baby or get around like I want. Of course, you've been through it and know how you felt and healed.

    I would also add that my labor with my first was 50 hours and my labor with my second was about 9 or 10 hours...WAY less. Every pregnancy is different, and I would definitely try for a vaginal delivery.
    kabbot01

    Answer by kabbot01 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • The one problem is that women in my family dont dialate without intervention. And with attempting a VBAC you are to avoid as much intervention as possible so you dont up the rupture factor. I was up the next morning. I had cesc at night so I couldnt get out of bed till next morning. I just remember how upset I got and that I thought I failed and I dont want to go thru that again. And I cant seched for after my EDD because my hubby works shift work and he is on vacation the first 3 weeks of May. I would sched it for either 38 or 39 weeks. I delievered my DD at 37 weeks and she was totally healthy her apgars were 9 and 10. They are also saying he is almost 7 pounds already and my daughter was under .4oz under 7.
    newmommy61207

    Answer by newmommy61207 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • I might schedule it, but, to be honest, with all the labor you're already having, you might not make it...which would make your decision easier :)

    Also, my first was only 5lbs 12oz and they predicted my second was going to be a heavy 8lbs or "light" 9lbs and she was only 7lbs 4oz. I was terrified going into that one. BELIEVE ME. I thought "I had enough trouble with 5lbs 12oz, I'm not wanting to do a 9lbs baby". Even though she was bigger, her head was a little smaller than my first and that is the only part that really mattered. My "push time" was 40 mins shorter too.

    I would at least try if you go early. I'm not one to push a natural delivery, but I just think your healing time would be a lot shorter and you would feel better if you can do it.

    And hey, if you can't, you can't...there shouldn't be much guilt with that.
    kabbot01

    Answer by kabbot01 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • I have had the same experiences as Kabbot. I didn't have any pain meds during or after delivering my daughter, and when she came out...it was SUCH a relief not to be carrying around a nine pound baby anymore, I felt like running a marathon! Back to you... since C-sections always carry a slight risk, I would really talk to your doctor and ask how likely it is that your second labor will be so difficult. If there is nothing wrong with you physically... (although I have no clue what body malfunction would cause slow labor since I am not an expert), then there is a good chance this time it will be much easier. In the end though, it's all about what makes you most comfortable. Some women handle C-sections differently than others, just like natural births. I have one friend who could hardly walk for a week after and another who felt nearly fine within a day. You know your body and your personal limits best. Good luck!
    ErinHill226

    Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • I personally would schedule the C-Sec. I had a similar experience with my DS. I was in labor for 37 hours including 4 or pushing and had to a C-Sec. (He was face up) I remember being in such pain from having to go through both. I also remember the disappointment that I was not able to deliver vaginally. I felt in adequate as a woman. I told my self when I got PG with the next one that I was gonna try again and do a VBAC. when it came down to it and I was PG with My DD they told me that I only had a 40% chance of success based on my last delivery. With the odds and the risk of a VBAC to consider I sadly gave up my hope of a vaginal delivery with her. The difference was that this time I was prepared. There was no shock or surprise about it. I knew I was having a C-Sec. and it was my choice and not a personal failure. She is health happy and so is my son. Ask you OB their opinion on your chance of success. That will help.
    But_Mommie

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • Thank you, we are talking about it, if I happen to go into labor before we have it scheduled then I will try if not and there hasnt been any change in these next 2 weeks we will go with the scheduled csection. From talking to my mom she thinks it is the best route she had over 24 hours of labor with all 3 kids. I had to be pulled with forceps, cant remember my brother and my sister came out blue. I am just thinking that it will be a better outcome if I just schedule the section.
    newmommy61207

    Answer by newmommy61207 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pregnancy
little bleeding?