how do you know when your child has the colic?

neede to kno

mrsmiles0819

Asked by mrsmiles0819 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If they cry for a few hours at a time everyday at the same time and burping doesn't help they're colic .
    Anonymous

• Colic is crying more than three hours a day, three days a week for more than three weeks in an otherwise well-fed, healthy baby. We thought our daughter was colicky, she cried A LOT. It stops, eventually.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Unexplainable, inconsolable crying - for more than 3 hours a day (at one time, like from midnight to three am) more than three days a week, for three weeks or more... This is even when you are holding them, and they are fed, changed, and otherwise totally cared for: that's colic. Crying for food or to be held is not colic, as it's explainable and you can do something to fix it.

A colicky baby is rough on a mama... and it isn't necessarily something "caused" by you or something that can be "fixed" by you...the one thing that helped me is learning that sometimes, some babies need to cry - it IS their need, and that my job as mama isn't to stop it, but to love and support them through it. Crying in the loving arms of a parent or in a sling is not the same thing, neurologically, as being left to cry alone. That helped a lot, otherwise I was sure to lose my mind from the stress and sleep deprivation. It does end!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I was always told if your child has it, YOU KNOW IT> thankfully we never did!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• 'colic' is the medical term for 'we don't know what's wrong, but he sure screams alot'. so if your baby cries alot, for no reason, he more than likely has it.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 10:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009