How do I entertain my 3 year old while holding a crying 2 month old????

darbydoo

Asked by darbydoo at 8:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• play doh, crayons and construction paper and safety scissors, stickers, puzzles, pop up books... all sit-down, hands-on stuff that takes time and concentration. that way- you can have your quiet time, comforting the baby, and your toddler can have fun too.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 8:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Play I spy. It's a game where you don't have to move anything but your eyes. :-) If you've never played it before, just "spy" something red or green, or whatever in the room you're in and have the child guess what it is.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 8:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I agree with answer # 1. To add to that I would put "special" things like that and other things you can think of or find in special tote bags or buckets, clear rubbermaid containers, colorful plastic crates that are labled with his name. Or lable them fun time, crafts, free time, or whatever you can dream up. Then at different times pull out different different ones. It may take an hour or two to put three or so of these together but in the long run you will be have a preoccupied little one. When your out you could pick up a few things to change out in his/her container. This could also be a fun thing for you and your lo to do together when the baby is sleeping. :D Hope this helps!!
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 9:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• A sling was a lifesaver when I had my second baby and my first was still so little... I was able to hold the baby close, with both hands still free. Go to thebabywearer.com for more information on the different kinds of carriers, benefits, and safety! It's a really informative site. I would have lost my mind long ago without babywearing.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• baby carrier and go for nature walks have the older one find leaves and such
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 10:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Sing...sing a song...sing out loud...sing out strong...Just sing...sing a song. Have your 3 year old join in, change the words, and maybe the singing will help comfort the baby. At the very least, you'll have a vocal outlet and get oxygen flowing to your brain to help keep you calm. Maybe not the best advice for everyone, but for me, singing is a great stress release.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Have the older one try to get the baby to laugh by making silly faces or acting silly. Put baby in a stroller and take a walk. Sing, sing, sing even if you have to make up songs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• dance! lol the movement might help soothe the baby and the silliness will help entertain the 3 year old- ive done it a million times turn on the music and shake those hips! lol
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• dancing, walking, a trip to the playground.
    BABY WEARING!! I could not live with out my sling!!! Babies who are worn cry less, it's been scientifically proven.
    Turn the radio up loud (but not so loud you can't talk over it--don't want to hurt anyone's ears!) and dance and sing to it.
    Ask your toddler to put on a puppet show for you and the baby, or a dancing show.
    Reading books. Babies will listen to their mother's voice! Especially sing-songy rhyming books like Dr Seuss.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I introduced the computer to my daughter when my son was born. I was able to sit with her and nurse him while she went on the computer. There are great sites for kids that young. We loved, noggin.com, sesamestreet.com, pbskids.org. She was actually doing it all by herself at 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009