Ummm...How do i explain?

Okay, my in laws (one in particular) are very very nice, and not in any way un intelligent. They are however...shall we say...under educated in certain areas? Here's the thing, the girl has had two sons and is hoping for a girl this time around. On several occasions she has said things like "Who knows, maybe it's just like I can only make boys and he can only make boys" or "Maybe because my mom had so many boys I am better at having boys". I just smile and nod, but I want so much to explain how it actually works! I've said little things in passing like "Yeah, since my hubby gave me a girl this time..." or something like that...but it's not working. Sometimes I feel like when I talk about things that are common sense to most, their eyes just glaze over. I even tried to explain why some research shows having sex earlier in the cycle may help you have a boy... why does this frustrate me so? lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know why it frustrates you, but some people have more "book" sense than comon sense.
    Anonymous

• I know you mean that scientifically you want to explain things but just ignore it. There are too many things to be concerned about and as long as they are good parents, who cares how they think genetics work :)
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• See, some of those could be a possiblity, My MIL and FIL had three boys. MY FIL had to have a testicul removed when he was younger. I think there boys had something to do with that. I know it's probably not "scientific," but I still believe it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I hear ya.That's my family in a nutshell! It's frustrating when they get these "truths" in their heads and won't let go,even though you've told them they're wrong! It's where ignorance and stupidity meet!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEEEEEAAN!!!! My in-laws are exactly the same way. But if that's the only major thing about your in-laws, you are in luck.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 9:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• is she being serious when she says it? I ask because I only want boys (ill love a girl just as much but pray I only have boys) & I say I 'pep talk' my uterus to reject female sperm lol its all in fun but do you think maybe she is just playin around?
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 9:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You know, it's just that sometimes they ASK me things too... and I don't know how to break it down so they'll understand it without it sounding like I'm talking down to them. I mean, my hubby ddin't know what a menstrual cycle actually was when we met. So he had me explain that to him... but sometimes I just wish they wouldn't ask me things cuz I always feel like I'm being snotty when I break it down too much. But if you've never heard of an "X" or "Y" chromosome, how else can you do it?
    Anonymous

• Haha, it's not the ONLY thing...but nothing too huge. Just that and a mother in law who cries at the drop of a hat and has to know every little detail about...everything.
    Anonymous

• LOL. Sounds all to farmiliar. It bugs the heck out of me too. but then i just think to myself, someone has to be the smarter one, "guess my parents were good at makin' the smart ones.lol
    shan7195

Answer by shan7195 at 7:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2009