Blood in the diaper, please help!

My daughter starting having little tiny spots of blood in her diaper since she was about 2 1/2 months old. The doctor thought it was a milk alergy (she's breastfed), so I stopped drinking milk. The blood persisted so I took out soy, the blood persisted so then I cut out wheat and the blood stopped. However, two days ago it started up again, so I'm suspecting if it is allergies that maybe it is eggs, which I will try cutting out now. Has anyone had this experience? Also, my daughter, now almost 4 months old, does not nap well, never has, and is very inconsistant in how easily she goes to sleep at night, sometimes she goes down easy, other times it takes hours. Any advice?

CLRief

Asked by CLRief at 8:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my daughter had the same probs, she was on isomil because of family milk allergies and she seemed likeshe was in pain and had blood in her stools. her pediatrcian put her on alimentum and she was better in days, just talk to her dr.
    silly7

Answer by silly7 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Is she pooping everytime you find the blood? Cause my daughter will bleed sometime bleed so bad after pooping that you would think shes have her period. I completely understand it's very scary when you open your childs diaper and find blood. My daughter has a very senstive stomach and we to thought it was a food allergy, her doctor told us at 5 months old. It's called baby acid reflex. You can get all the information on it on webmd.com GL I really do understand even down to her not sleeping well my daughter had everything you have wrote.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• How much blood? If she is breastfed it's possibly from your nipple. My son had blood in his diaper, just a little spot every couple days. I panicked of course and the doc said it is from the capillaries in your nippled. That blood is not digested and comes out when they pee
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You didn't say whether the blood was in her poop or her pee. Is she growing and gaining weight? Could the blood be coming from you through a cracked/sore nipples or over abundant milk supply? Are you keeping a food diary and making sure that even tiny amounts of those foods aren't slipping in on occasion? Has your doctor looked into other possible explanations such as celiac disease or bacterial or viral infections? Removing other common allergens like eggs or corn would be a good start, but keep pursuing this with your Dr. It would be a good idea to get a second opinion too, maybe from a specialist such as a pediatric allergist or gastroenterologist.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009