How do you make friends?

I feel like I'm 8 years olds old again, with pig tails and buck teeth, living in a new town, and wondering how to make friends. I feel like I have people all around me, old school pals, neighbors...and I always hint to them that I would love to do some thing some time...go for a walk, go shopping...and they say "yeah that would be great!" then..nothing ever happens...or I find out later that a group of neighbors got together for lunch, and no one thought to invite me...I feel like I'm that little left out girl all over again. Any advice?

nataj

Asked by nataj at 9:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Ask some people to your home and have a lunch in. Let these people get to know you.. Where do you live i will come have lunch with you.( no really im kidding) Get yourself out there..GL
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my sister and adult daughters and I talk about this all the time. We live in a military community and about the time you get to befriend someone they get transferred out! Now that my kids are moving away I feel like a little lost pup. I know people here but are not really friends with them to feel comfy with going out or just hanging out. So this is a good question.
    Have you seen the movie, I love you Man! I wasn't going to watch it thinking it might be dumb but this is what it is about, finding a friend when you realize you have none and how he goes about finding friends.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Invite neighbors over for lunch to get to know them. Take the first move. You can also make friends by joining a playgroup, take kids to storyhour at the library, talk to other parents at the park. Look on CM for a group that is in your area or start one yourself. Put yourself out there, join a book group.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• people can be so wishy-washy. It is hard to make friends! You may have to be more direct and invite them to something specific.
    stamm

Answer by stamm at 10:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I like all your thoughts. I guess I need to take the initiative and make something happen, rather than sit around and hope for things to happen. Here's my little girl insecurity though: What if I invite people to do something, and they do...then later I find out that all those people continue to do things without inviting me back...it's happened before. I had two neighbors, and I usually headed up any activities we would do. I told them one day at the park, that we should get together with the kids and our computers and teach each other digital scrabooking. They both said that was a great idea. Then I found out that the very next day, the two of them got together w/o me. I was so hurt. I guess I just don't like putting myself out there.

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice. keep it coming!

nataj

Answer by nataj at 12:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009