Moms in the military? How do you do it?

I've been thinking about going in the military really hard lately. My DH is a veteran and has had a hard time finding a job since he got hurt and I graduated college last May and have had a hard time finding an entry level job. Luckily my daughter has Medicaid, but my DH and I don't have any insurance.
So, my question is, how do you do it? How do you leave your child for basic training &/or Iraq? That's the ONLY thing stopping me from joining right now is I don't know how I can leave my daughter for 6 weeks. I can't even spend a night away from her, much less a few hours.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hmmm....this is a tough question to answer. It IS hard to leave them, but I knew this going into it and I am okay with it. I am providing a good life for my kids. Most of the time they are with me. I know there will be times they are not. I know in the future I will deploy for a year at some point(I have already deployed once). There will be pictures, letters, and phone calls that get me through. But I am willing to do this because I am providing for my family. I know they are taken care of and I know they are in good hands while I am gone. I just stay focused and know that it won't last forever. I know this didn't help much.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I'm sure it helped. I am not active duty, I'm an Army wife. There are lots of dual military, and lots of single mom's in the military. Somehow they make it work. It will be hard, but you have to look at the bigger picture. The things that the pp said, they all make sense. You have to do what you can to make it, and if that means you join the military, then go for it! I'm sure your husband will be supportive. It won't be forever. That's what I have to tell myself, my hubby just left for Afgh. It won't be forever, just a year. Take it a day at a time, you will make it.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Heck, I regarded basic training as a vacation, and follow on specialty training as the same. I missed my girls but, I reminded myself I was providing income, housing, medical care, and security for them, as well as practising my profession (I'm a pharmacist) for the good of others.

Was it hard? Yup.

Was it worth it? YUP.
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 2:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Oh, and before I was active duty? I was also a military wife, and my husband became disabled -- and I had to fight the VA for 2 years to get his compensation, so WOW do I know where you're coming from, in many ways! The JAG actually helped me get his compensation pushed through, and of course, since he was now a military dependant, we actually got the medical records we needed to finally push through the disability.

Good luck, sweetie =)
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 2:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2009