how long until it's ok?

my 3 year anniversary (yay!) is coming up in a week and we're going to a very nice restaurant where it'll be top notch meals and nice wine. my son (9m) and daughter (4) will be taken care of by grandparents while we go to dinner. so here's the question then.. if i'm breastfeeding is there a way i can still enjoy a little wine at dinner? he wont take a bottle or anything like that. if i got some out and drank alot of water? i guess i'm just asking whats the line here...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Health

• The book is pretty right on, however you can have 2 glasses of wine inless its a short dinner. reason being most of the alcohol doesnt even go into your breast milk. however you want to be completely coherent and not the least bit tipsy when you get home to your baby as he will want you to feed him. So if you are a light weight ( you also haven't had any alcohol since before you were pregnant remember) drink slow and just enjoy the taste of the fine wine and the fine man you married. And remember you sweet littlte ones are in the loving arms of grandma and grandpa, so all is good with your world for the evening! Have a great Night and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 11:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• dont pass more than 2 cups of wine and when youre ready to pump the first batch of your breast milk throw it away .I dont think there is no harm in that really .Wine is not bad one cup is ok and wont even affect the baby milk at all but the second will have fun on your night out and congrats
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I'm getting my information from "The Breastfeeding Book" by Dr. William Sears and Martha Sears, R.N. (highly acclaimed authors of pregnancy, lactation and child rearing books).

There is a section where they talk about this very situation - you want to go have a special evening out and are concerned about alcohol consumption. This is what they have to say. (Also, get this book - it is loaded with great info).

The book says "Breastfeed your baby before drinking, limit alcohol consumption to one glass of wine or beer, sip it slowly with food and if possible wait at least two hours after drinking to feed your baby. That said there's no need to "pump and dump" your milk after drinking an alcoholic beverage. The alcohol concentration in your milk is roughly at equilibrium with the concentration in your blood, which means that any alcohol in your milk will be eliminated as your body metabolizes the alcohol in your blood."
    Tiler

Answer by Tiler at 10:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Alcohol DOES go into the breastmilk. I have always been told to pump and dump. I would think one glass with dinner would be ok. BF first and then have your wine and a couple of hours later you should be ok to bf again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009