what age

what age do you put a baby in a big car seat

nikki398

Asked by nikki398 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After 20 to 25 pounds they are ready to get a bigger car seat thier little feet will hit the back of the seat and push on it once you see that then you baby is ready to see the front
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• When they are 20-25 lbs AND past 12 months in age. They are safer facing backwards, so the longer you can keep them rear-facing, the safer they will be in the event of an accident. My son is 15 mos and 23 lbs, and he is still rear facing - I like knowing that he is as safe as possible.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It is based on weight not age.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Certain things are based on age and certain on weight. Your baby can leave the infant seat at that seat's weight limit, usually 22lbs. But the AAP says to keep children rear facing til they're at least 2 years old or have reached the maximum weight of a convertible car seat. A toddler's neck doesn't stand a chance in a forward facing accident no matter how heavy they are. They're just not developed enough. You can use a convertible from the beginning if you want. Keep them rear facing til 2 years or 35lbs then forward in a 5 point harness as long as possible. My car seat can keep my DD in a 5 pt til she's 80lbs. Then, get a booster seat til the child reaches 4'9'.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It's not really a age, it's weight and height. It really depends on the car seat most infant seats weight limit is about 23lbs and height 29 inches. Once they are not meeting the guidelines of the carseat then you need to switch your LO to a bigger seat. Choosing a bigger car seat can be tough, since there is alot of choices. I would research to find one that fits your budget and needs. It is recommended to keep kids rear facing as long as possible,but you can turn your baby front facing when they are 1year and 20lbs or more. I purchased a extended rear facing car seat when my son grew too long for his infant seat. It will keep him rear facing upto 35lbs and then will sit faced front for up to 50lbs so i will get some use out of it. Hope this answers your question
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 10:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• we switched from a graco snugride to a britax when she hit 20 pounds. she was about nine months old. she is 10 months old so we have it rear facing in the car for now. when she turns a year old, we'll switch it to the forward facing position.
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I never used an "infant" car seat. I used a convertible from the beginning. Most seats that can face both front and rear are good from birth. The new AAP just came out with the recommendation to continue to rear face until at least 2 yrs old (in most states the law is that it is legal for them to face forward when they are BOTH 1 yr old and 20 lbs. Look for a seat that you can rear-face up to at least 35 pounds, and then you can turn around and face forward.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2009