So, what can i expect?

Im due in 3 days :D
and i want to know what im REALLY in for...no lies.not like what you see on tv...

what am i really in for?
im having a little girl...and this is my first baby..i plan to breastfeed too...
so what can i expect for say....the first 3 months?

MissKellee

Asked by MissKellee at 9:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All bb are so so different - you wont know till you get home with her. Hopefully shes a sleeper.......... Good Luck!
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 9:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Breastfeeding ISNT easy I did it for 15months it is a huge long haul but SO worth it. You will get breast infections that hurt like hell, so research that. You will probably get baby blues, but just make sure you get pleanty of outside fresh air time for both you and baby. Make sure you take time our for yourself still. Dont except hubby to help cause they usualy end up just hurting your feelings and stomping all over your expectations of them lol. They are so expensive but....its okay cause its so much fun buying them things! After the first few months it will get easy to where you wont even have to think about what to do anymore. Good luck mama!!!! Congrats!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Almost no sleep. Ever. You'll never ever sleep soundly again.

The first week will be hell. It's incredibly difficult to go from caring for yourself to caring for a little baby 24/7.

People will chastise you for your parenting decisions. Try not to let them get to you.

If breastfeeding doesn't work out like you planned, try not to feel bad. It didn't work out for me either.

The first postpartum bowel movement will be torture. Make sure you get stool softeners before you leave the hospital.

Don't hate yourself if you accidentally bump your baby's head against something (not hard, of course). She'll scream and cry but she'll be just fine.

If ANYONE offers to help, take them up on the offer. Right around the second month, people stop calling and you're totally on your own.

Your body will look foreign to you when you get home from the hospital. Don't feel bad, you're not alone.

I have so
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i dont even do anything for myself anymore...lol...i havent done anything for myself in god knows how long...i have no life...but i believe that once shes here, thats when life will start

and im not too much a fan of sleeping anyway =P
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 9:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• OH, and when it gets too hard to handle (which it will sometimes), try to tell yourself that she won't be that small forever. My baby got really fun when she turned three months old. Before that, I had a really difficult time with her. I dunno, some people really like the brand new newborn stage. I sure didn't.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• On the bright side, though...the first smiles will absolutely melt your heart. No other baby will even compare to your daughter. Put her in lots of little girly outfits and take tons of pictures so she can be embarrassed by them 15 years from now.

Ahahaha xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• On the other end, breastfeeding was way easier than I thought it was going to be... the first few weeks I slept with the bfing booklet by my bed so I could look up mastitis symptoms all the time. I never had a problem!

You will be tired beyond belief. You will start to feel better at around 3 or 4 weeks postpartum and you'll over do it, and then you'll feel discouraged because you're "supposed to feel normal!" by then. That's not true, but you'll probably think it anyway! I agree with the person who said take all help you can get, even if you don't think the person offering meant it! LOL Practice saying, "Yes, thanks, that would be wonderful. I need _____" Have a list of things that need to be done tacked up by your phone so that you can have it handy so you'll be more likely to know what to ask for. You can also tell visitors who say, "Can I do something?" that the list is there, and have them pick what they could do for yo
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• what to expect...your baby will not go by the books, and it' not like the movies. for me personally, it wasnt a reality till I saw the baby! it was like "wow ok this is my baby, I can leave the hospital with him...then what" lol. it takes time for babies to adjust to day and night. breastfeeding is wonderful and beautiful, but takes patience and practice. some moms and babies get the hang of it instantly, some have trouble. an LC should be on call at your hospital to help if you need/want it! and always watch the baby not the clock. you'll feel like a dairy cow around the clock but it wont last once your baby grows and starts getting into a routine! GL and congrats! my son turns 1 tomorrow!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Also know that breastfeeding is rough for the first 6 to 8 weeks; it takes that long to really get the hang of it, and for your baby to really get the hang of it, even if you get off to a really good start. It should not be painful, but it will be a while before you feel really comfortable. After the first couple months, it gets a lot easier, fast... it gets to be just like breathing. The first few weeks, your baby will need to nurse every 1 to 2 hours - this helps establish a really good supply and meets her nutritional and developmental needs ... it can be hard though so always remember that they don't nurse like a newborn forever! Also, it's not like clockwork... just follow baby's cues and you will be fine!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i had my baby girl only a week & 2 days ago...(4/9/09)..She was my first and i was induced (dont know if you are or not), but honestly all the pain, and suffering that might occur honestly doesnt compare to when she finally arrives!!! Its like everything bad that happend just gets wiped away! breastfeeding was tough, i tried..really tried hard, but im still pumping. anything you do ultimately is right for your baby. dont let anyone make you feel like your wrong or inadequate! i had a horrible experience with a nurse when i was in the hospital, she made me cry bc she made me feel like a bad person because i asked for formula because i was scared she wasnt getting anything in the 2 days i was there. if you need ANY advice, dont hesitate!! we can help eachother ;)
    vanessaxoxo

Answer by vanessaxoxo at 10:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2009