Who determines if a homeschooled 8th grade student is ready to start public high school?

I recently withdrew my 14 year old son (8th grade) from the local middle school due to bullying, I will homeschool him for the remainder of the school year (6-8 wks). I plan on enrolling him in public high school in the fall. Who promotes him from 8th grade to 9th? What do I need to do? HELP!

Kioki

Asked by Kioki at 10:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• He has to take a test given by a Certified Teacher. (or that's the rule in FL) Call your school board and ask. they handle homeschooling rules.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I will call the school board on Monday for more info.
    Kioki

Answer by Kioki at 10:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I agree with the PP, call your school board or even the principal or counselor at his Middle School. Sorry he had to be taken out of school for bullying, my son was bullied for almost 3 years and it was horrible. I felt so sad for him and he hated school. His 4th grade teacher was awesome and took care of it in a matter of days. He even became friends with the kids that were bullying him. Good luck and I hope he has a much better high school experience.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You do! :)
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 2:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Just call your local high school Ask that his middle school files be transfered to them. You haven't been homeschooling that long so it shouldn't be an issue. In our state they promote kids to HS even if they have failed every class in middle school. Did you keep a portfolio with the work your son has done since leaving his middle school? If so, take that with you when you enroll him. Also ask them to assign your son a counselor immediately/ They are your life line to his teachers and any problems that may arise. I am home schooling my middle schooler because of the same issues. Middle school was a nightmare for my daughter. So I avoided it with my HFA son. She now attends an smaller charter high school and loves it! Good Luck.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 2:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009