• In the Spotlight:

What is the worst parenting advice you've ever been given?

offshoot of the MSN question.

3rdtymsthecharm

Asked by 3rdtymsthecharm at 10:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Worst advice? "Oh my god you horrible creature, take that harness and leash off your child!" ... What, so she can dart out into the street? Be snatched by a weirdo? Dislocate her litle shoulder trying to reach up for my hand? Run to keep up with my longer steps?

Wrongie-poo. Harness and leash stayed. (The "Adam" post reminded me of that, and I went and looked at old photos of me and my leashed, happy, safe kids as we walked thru Ala Moana mall.)

Second worst? "Don't let her nurse on your left breast, or she'll be left handed like you!"

*snort* My late grandad and I are the only lefties in our ENTIRE family.
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 3:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• good question...I read in a book that once babies hit 5 months old, to wean them off night feedings. that just didnt fit well with my parenting skills. If a baby is hungry, a baby should be fed. my son was always nursed when he woke at night (of course only if thats what he wanted, nothing was ever forced) and he self-weaned around 8 months. I felt like I was creating a bad habit by "continuing" this and ignoring the book, but he stopped the night feedings on his own just fine! i didnt always depend on the books for parental advice, but being a first time mom and no support at the time thats almost all I had for quick tips
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Well I dont know if this was aimed at me but when I watch the show The Nanny - she makes the kids sit at dinner table and not get up until they eat veggies on the plate. I have seen these poor kids sit for 2 hours then they show the poor kid with head down on table asleep.

OH MY GOD (you know its bad I wrote that out) It makes me sick to see that. Its WRONG!!
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• when I was really showing and still working, I was squatting down to do some cleaning up. the cashier panicked and told me not to do that or else I'd squish the baby's head.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• lol owl feather. I was told once not to drink so much water or the baby would drown. uhmmmm okay.. they live in water
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 10:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• worst advice: CIO...
    Anonymous

• That I needed to stop carrying my daughter (then not quite 6 mos old) in the sling, I needed to get her a playpen or she wouldn't learn to stand and walk properly. Apparently this is what playpen manufacturers told women in the 50s and it somehow caught on and people think it's true even to this day...they just went on and on about it, and brought my husband over, and lectured him on it too.

She was walking by 9 1/2 months, even with all the carrying and no playpen in sight. And my other babies were all held/carried all the time, and they all took their first independent steps at 8 1/2 or 9 mos.

Also that breastmilk loses it's nutritional benefits after 12 months. That doesn't even make any sense, but if you explain the science to someone they say, "Oh, BOOKs. I don't get my parenting from BOOKS." You can't argue with someone who thinks information is a bad thing. LOL
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Oh, anon, yes with the CIO. The nicest, sweetest woman very sincerely gave me all kinds of CIO advice - she said I would need to hold on to the headboard of my bed and bite my lip to keep from going to my baby, but that I needed to do it so she could learn. It just sounded so wrong - and we've managed to do just fine without any CIO at all. It sounds like hell on earth.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• to put honey on the pacifier so that my baby would take it. OMG I couldn't believe my friend said that. I told her of course that I was not doing that!
    stamm

Answer by stamm at 10:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Stamm, I have read that honey is really bad for babies because it can have spores in it that the baby isn't yet ready to fight.

Anyway, my father in-law told me that I should feed my son only veggies and when he is done THEN he can have a starch and when he is done with that THEN give him the meat. Like he has to eat everything before moving on to the next. How exactly is my kid supposed to get a balanced diet when I stuffed him with broccoli and potatoes before giving him his protein?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2009