my DD keeps screaming!

she is almost eleven months old and in the past month or so, she has been letting out these loud blood-curdling screams. she's not upset or overly excited, it just comes out of nowhere. it doesn't matter if we are home or in public, like at the grocery store or a restaurant, etc. my DH and his parents yell for her to be quiet. my mom has suggested ignoring it because she says you reinforce the bad behavior if you give attention for the bad behavior. my sister suggested giving her a toy to distract her. nothing has worked so far. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At this age they discover screeching, and they play with it just like a toy! It can be really really loud. Distraction is one thing we try, I also will in some situations, gently place my fingertips over my son's lips and say "shhhhh" but usually on my way out of the place where the screeching is a problem. I don't exactly ignore it, but I guess I just don't think it's a big deal... they almost all do it, and they all outgrow it, so it's not a problem for me, as long as we're not someplace where it is disruptive to others - in which case I remove him from the situation whispering, "We need to be quiet inside!" You can try taking her to a place where it's okay to scream, like outside. "Let's scream outside!" and then scream with her, have a good time with it. Eventually she'll figure out that screaming is an outside thing, and that inside is for quiet voices.

Yelling to teach not yelling doesn't make any sense.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• it could simply be that she discovered the loud volume her voice can make! i wouldnt call it bad behavior at this young age, but jokingly screaming back and laughing will certainly encourage her. if you feel uncomfortable about this, you could always just quietly shoosh her or whisper to her, hey ___ hear mama talking quietly? I dunno lol GL
    Anonymous

• Have you talk with her pediatrician? That should be the first thing you do.

It could be something as simple as her body growing a little faster than normal and it hurts. It could also be something more serious.

Go to the doctor. Just talk with the pediatrician.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• OMG My five month old has been doing that for a month now. How do you conquer that one??? He just knows it sounds cool. LOL

Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 10:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Honestly, I used to do the same thing! (At least according to my mother...) My son does this kind of screaming now and he's 5. I just tell him that he can do that at the playground, but not inside. She's still very young, so you might have trouble getting her to stop right now. Your mom's right about ignoring her, but you also can't bother people around you. My suggestion is - if you're at a restaurant, make her go sit in the car for a while until she agrees that she's done screaming (yes, she's old enough to understand NO SCREAMING!). If you're at home tell her No No! Not nice! Then give her a time out for 1 minute. She may not stop now because she's so little, but if you keep working on it, eventually she'll figure it out that she's not allowed to scream unless she's at the park. Good Luck!
    Tkgiggles1

Answer by Tkgiggles1 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• ahhh the lovely screaming phase. i would start whispering to my kids and they couldn't hear me if they screamed. one of my friends used a spray bottle of water and would squirt the kid. it sounds cruel but its not and it really worked
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 10:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i posted this question....

gypsy, I have talked with her ped, they said it was normal and that she just was enjoying the feeling that screaming gives her. however, the doctor did not give me any suggestions to curb the behavior.

and collinsky, i agree with you. yelling at someone to teach them not to yell is stupid!
    Anonymous

• Lol, seriously, they didn't give you ANYTHING? Oh, that's nice!

The whispering thing is a good idea. My MIL suggested that to me when my youngest would scream just to scream. I still use it today when my kids get too loud(20, 18, 10, 7). I just lower my voice (still loud enough that they know I am talking) so they have to either lower their's or shut up just to hear me. Works on adults too! I would give the whispering a try. It won't happen over night but you know that..
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2009