babys lungs

im 34 weeks pregnant...but im wondering when are the babys lungs developed enough to breath on their own????anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• By 34 weeks mostbabies can breath on their own. They were going to deliver my son at 35 weeks, but held off because they wanted to be 100% sure his lungs were ready.

Anonymous

• Yes, depends on the baby. If they're at risk for being low birth weight or have some other defect, their lungs may not be ready just yet.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 10:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I read that the sacs inside the lungs start to develop around the 26th week. And with my last daughter while in the hospital they scheduled to give me steroids around the 24th to help the baby lungs develop I was around 21 week pregnant sadly I didnt make it that far I gave birth and as we all knew who lungs werent developed enough for her to breath on her own.
    Anonymous

• The lungs begin developing in the last trimester and continue to develop all the way until the very end. There is some belief that there is some kind of chemical signal sent to the body telling it the baby is ready to deliver once the lungs are completely finished developing, but I haven't ever heard or read any more than that, so there's no knowing.

littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 11:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2009