My son lost his first tooth today. What "toothfairy" traditions do you have?

What special things do you do for your kids when they lose their first tooth!

LillyMommy

Asked by LillyMommy at 10:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was actually scared of the tooth fairy the first time so he leaves her notes on the kitchen table thanking her for coming and telling her she can help herself to some milk in the fridge etc. We even had the tooth fairy call him one day when he lost his tooth and was stressed about not getting the money. He thought he was the luckiest kid!!
    stamm

Answer by stamm at 10:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• We typed up a little note from the tooth fairy. Our oldest didn't like brushing his teeth so in the note we had her say that she only wanted nice white sparkly teeth, so he needed to brush twice a day because she would let it slide this time but next time she wasn't going to take his tooth if he hadn't been brushing.
    He really took it to heart and started brushing!
    We tied a little ribbon around the note and attached it to his tooth fairy pillow.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• First tooth lost $5- Tooth they pulled out even when they didn't want to $2- Any other teeth that come out $1- If they need to get teeth pulled for braces (like I did) $10 per tooth!!
    Dianne1259

Answer by Dianne1259 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• We didn't do anything special for first teeth. But we found trying to navigate the disaster area that is our children's room too difficult to keep with the tradition of leaving the tooth under the pillow. Instead we started wrapping them in squares of fabric and leaving them in an open area. Then we found a little box that a ring came in and we leave them in that. Or we did. My son lost another tooth last week and just left it on my desk and the next day I gave him $1. He's 7 and told me on Easter he doesn't believe in the Easter bunny any more so I'm assuming that means he understands that the tooth fairy and Santa aren't real either. He didn't care where the $1 came from as long as he got one (although he didn't even mention it so probably wouldn't have noticed if he didn't get one).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My son doesn't ever get the same amount or the same kind of money. Sometimes he gets $1, sometimes he gets some quarters, for his first front tooth he got a couple golden dollars. I think it's fun that way, but it started because I gave him $2 for the first tooth, and then when he suddenly lost another I didn't have any cash, so I found some nice shiny quarters!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My kids got a dollar and a sheet of cool stickers for each tooth.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 11:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My 6 yo daughter believes in the tooth fairy. We have a little tooth pillow that she sticks it in and I place it under her pillow, but way on the end so I can retrieve it. She got $5 for the first one and $1 gold quarters for the remaining teeth. I bought two rolls of gold presidential quarters at the bank and stashed them away so I always have them available if she (or her little brother) loses a tooth. Two "tooth fairy" gaffes: She lost her first top tooth at dad's - the tooth got lost during the night but dad gave her a dollar anyway and then later she found it in the morning. Two weeks later she lost her other top tooth, I hid it, gave her the dollar, but then somehow in my slumber stupor I forgot to take out the tooth!!! I told her that those two front teeth must have been so heavy that she couldn't carry them away, but she still got her money. She accepted that and excitedly told everyone the story.
    Shellybelly02

Answer by Shellybelly02 at 2:29 AM on May. 18, 2009