How can I get my 2 year old son to not be so attached to me?

I have been laid off from my job since December so it's me and him together all day everyday. It's to the point where I can go in the bathroom, take a shower, etc. without him crying or asking for me. What do I do I feel bad sometimes then sometimes I need a break. He is even like this around his dad and grandparents and he spends a lot of time with them so they are not unfamiliar faces to him.

lovin_my_zaiah

Asked by lovin_my_zaiah at 10:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try slowly having dad do more. maybe turn over bath time, you can still tuck him in if thats your routine but dad can do bath. then as he gets more used to that, try taking quick trips to the store (just to pick up some milk) w/o him. my daughter went through this at that age too, while i was still working, she would scream bloody murder when i left for work. and i always felt awful. so i feel your pain. just keep trying and let him know that even when you leave you are thinking of him. if you have to leave for awhile (like dinner or major grocery shopping etc) tell him when you will be home, after snacktime, before bath whatever he can understand that way he knows when to expect you
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• See if you can get the other people in your lives a little more involved. I'd try to have them hang out with you guys as a group for a while. Maybe then your son will have a stronger bond with them. Then they could babysit him for you and you could have some peace & quiet! It could just be a phase that he'll grow out of eventually. My daughter was the same way, but since her dad's schedule has changed, he's been taking care of her much more. I've noticed a huge difference in how she doesn't seem so clingy. And they've gotten closer, so that's nice.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 10:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I go through clinginess with my daughter. Honestly I sometimes wish she would give me a break, but I know it won't last forever so i enjoy it while I can. They are just showing how much they love us. We are mommy.God bless.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• How is your attitude towards him? Kids can sense when they are being rejected. I know how you are feeling though! It is a struggle to keep from being impatient and annoyed. I KNOW! I find that on days that I am patient, fun, and loving, things go great! On days where everything is just crazy and I find myself wishing for a break, things can easily escalate out of control. If I take a second to really look at my daughter as a precious gift and refocus my heart for her, I find that things start to run smoothly again. If it doesn't start going smoothly, at least I can find the patience my daughter needs and needs to learn from me. Check out this book: In Praise of Stay At Home Moms.

squish

Answer by squish at 4:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2009